Moderator Control Panel ]

Pre 1841 census records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Pre 1841 census records

Postby woodchal » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:55 pm

www.familyhistory.co.uk indicates that there are some records for some census returns pre-1841 and it has created a list, which might be very useful.

One it mentions is Rotherwick, Hampshire in 1811, which would be of interest to me. Does anyone know where I could find out where this would be located
woodchal

Re: Pre 1841 census records

Postby brunes08 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:24 pm

I have seen some pre-1841 census records for parts of Norfolk. The records do not provide names of individuals, just a break down of the population in the area in question. For example, they say there are x number of males, females etc, x number in particular occupations etc. No addresses either. I assume it is the same for other areas.
brunes08

Postby FamilyHistory » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi - just noticed this post about pre 1841 census records. I help run the FamilyHistory.co.uk website and the section at this page http://www.familyhistory.co.uk/pre-1841-census-records/ . This is an ongoing project and we are regularly adding links (mainly to local Archive/Record centres) and also new censuses as they come to light. We were helped in setting up this page with information, and permission, from University of Essex and we have mentioned this on the relevant page.

I think you'll find that most of the censuses mentioned on this section of our website, and in the main table, will include some personal information. For example - if you follow some of the links under Bedfordshire - you'll see they link directly through to the relevant pages at Bedfordshire archives and there is quite a lot of personal information including names and ages, and occupations, about those listed in the census. Unfortunately not many of the Record Offices offer direct links thro' to such detailed information like this.

In respect of the Rotherwick query from the opening poster, this record is held at Hampshire Record Office and we have now included a link through to the record office. You will be able to view the Reference Number should you wish to make arrangements to view the census. Hampshire Record Office say this census lists 'the names of the householders and the number of males and females in each household'. Hope this helps. As I say we'll be continuing to update this section of our website.
FamilyHistory

Postby FamilyHistory » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:46 pm

just a quick update on my post yesterday. Been working on the Hampshire Pre 1841 Census Records Links today and add some links. Just to let anyone know who is interested in Fordingbridge Census Returns that there are named occupants listed in Hampshire Archives online catalogue 'description' page for the census years 1801, 1811, and 1821. We have now updated our page with the main link to the census year and also individual links to the named occupant page under Listings1, Listings2 etc
FamilyHistory

Postby FamilyHistory » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:59 pm

Another update on pre 1841 census records that are being added to our site at this page http://www.familyhistory.co.uk/pre-1841-census-records/. We have just added the 1801 and 1811 census records for Ealing (including Old Brentford) to our list. These records have been transcribed and can be viewed online and the link is provided on our site under the county of Middlesex. The transcriber has also included a lot of useful information on the censuses. The records are held at Ealing Local History Centre and that link is also included.
FamilyHistory

Return to General research queries