Moderator Control Panel ]

Help reading a marriage certificate please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help reading a marriage certificate please

Postby Jenaheldd » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Got a few bits on here I'm unsure of:

Says they got married in Salters Hall Chapel in the district of the City of London union in the County of London. I can't find any mention of Salters Hall ever having a chapel, so curious about that (unless I've read it wrong and its not Salters Hall of course!)

Can't make out:
Charles' occupation or address
Elizabeth's address

The declaration : Married in the Salters Hall Chapel according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the ???? Curious what this bit is

Thank you
Attachments
1844 Charles Thomas Cattle Elizabeth Webb marriage cert.jpg
1844 Charles Thomas Cattle Elizabeth Webb marriage cert.jpg (249.92 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
Jenaheldd

Re: Help reading a marriage certificate please

Postby peter kent » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Married in the Salters Hall Chapel according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the ????

Protestant Dissenters

Have you considered asking the register office to look at the original register? You might get a freebie as you've already paid GRO.

Otherwise simply ask GRO for a transcription. It's their poor reproduction!
peter kent

Postby MoVidger » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Not sure if this helps, but there is a London Metropolitan Police Pension Register record for a Charles Thomas Cattle (wife's name Elizabeth) on Ancestry.

Date of Entry into Force: 31 August 1846
Discharge date: 16 Aug 1861
MoVidger

Postby AntonyM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:35 pm

His occupation is Leather Japanner
His address ...looks like 19 Rose Street, Brick Lane, St Lukes , but the scan is too low-res to be sure.

Her address is 2? Maidenhead Court, St Thomas Apostle.
AntonyM

Postby Jenaheldd » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:52 pm

MoVidger wrote:Not sure if this helps, but there is a London Metropolitan Police Pension Register record for a Charles Thomas Cattle (wife's name Elizabeth) on Ancestry.

Date of Entry into Force: 31 August 1846
Discharge date: 16 Aug 1861

Thank you - yes, I had found this and it actually caused me to get really excited!! :-) My brick wall is Charles' parents. His father is William, mother Elizabeth but I can't find either of them and I've been looking for years (there is a post somewhere on this site regarding them). Well, this police record gives a middle name for Charles father and I thought it might be the lead I needed ... but that's not proved to be the case yet. I have requested copies of any other docs the Met Police hold on Charles but as these are sourced/provided by volunteers, they don't give a timeframe so I could be waiting a while. But I live in hope.....!
Jenaheldd

Postby sdup26 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:53 pm

Just to confirm there was a Chapel in Salters' Hall, the site http://www.british-history.ac.uk has a mention of it - "Hugh Worthington, Minister at Salters' Hall Chapel and former Unitarian, preached at Highbury Grove..."
sdup26

Postby Jenaheldd » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:53 pm

peter kent wrote:
Married in the Salters Hall Chapel according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the ????

Protestant Dissenters

Have you considered asking the register office to look at the original register? You might get a freebie as you've already paid GRO.

Otherwise simply ask GRO for a transcription. It's their poor reproduction!

Thank you Peter, I'll try both of those
Jenaheldd

Postby Jenaheldd » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:54 pm

sdup26 wrote:Just to confirm there was a Chapel in Salters' Hall, the site http://www.british-history.ac.uk has a mention of it - "Hugh Worthington, Minister at Salters' Hall Chapel and former Unitarian, preached at Highbury Grove..."

Great stuff - thank you!
Jenaheldd

Postby Jenaheldd » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:56 pm

AntonyM wrote:His occupation is Leather Japanner
His address ...looks like 19 Rose Street, Brick Lane, St Lukes , but the scan is too low-res to be sure.

Her address is 2? Maidenhead Court, St Thomas Apostle.

Interesting occupation! I haven't found Charles on the 1841 census yet so don't know what he was doing them, but I do know he becomes a policeman in 1846
Jenaheldd

Postby carobradford » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:57 pm

Just to pick up the one loose end - "according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Protestant Dissenters".
carobradford

Next

Return to General research queries