Moderator Control Panel ]

British Royal Air Force Airmen's service records

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Postby Jaker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:36 pm

I am unable to decipher the record transcriptions of two of my relatives which are on the Findmypast website. The first concerns Herbert Cyril Fleetwood born 22 May 1900 in Birmingham, Warwickshire.
His main service commenced 18 June 1918 and from there I am unable to follow! The departure Authority is RD 79, SJHC/198, SJWO/124 and 59Log TY and the Unit to which RD is STHC, 59TDS, 5YTDS and DC Chwoeldon (but this may have been misread)
The second concerns Walter Sansom born 25 March 1899 in Nottingham. All I can read is Official Number 290712!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Jaker
Jaker

Postby brunes08 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:52 pm

I had similar difficulties with 1WW RFC/RAF service records. Fortunately for me, I have relatives who live only a short distance from the RAF Museum at Hendon, Middlesex. I was able to make an appointment to visit their archive where a very helpful member of the staff assisted me in unravelling the details. If you do not live close enough to visit, you are able to make contact on tel: 02082052266 or e-mail to london@rafmuseum.org.
brunes08

Return to Military help