Moderator Control Panel ]

Billingtons of Hanley

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Billingtons of Hanley

Postby Tobina » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:22 am

I am trying to confirm that Richard Billington b.1768 was born in Hanley or thereabouts before moving to open a china shop in Dumfries. His first chid, Sarah, was born in Hanley in 1813 but the other children were born in Dumfries. I’m also trying to find the maiden name of Richard’s wife, Mary & his parents.
Thanks, Tobina
Tobina

Re: Billingtons of Hanley

Postby ciderdrinker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:01 am

Hello
I'd take a look at the Will of Richard Billington of Eturia earthen ware pot maker of 1805.
It gives wife Sarah
sons William ,James John and Richard.
The last two are involved in the business.The factory is at Cobridge
They have to carry on the business for 6 years in trust and if they dispute the Will they will be disinherited.

I think this is his parents and the Will is for his father Richard senior.

The dates are a bit out Richard married Sarah Hind 17.1.1773 at Stoke on Trent
John 8.11.1773 Burslem st john
Richard 8.7.1777
James 4.5.1780 Stoke on Trent
William 9.5.1782 Soke on Trent

Richard senior buried Burslem st John 17.7.1805

What do you think?

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby Tobina » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi Ciderdrinker,
Thanks for the reply. I’ve tried to access the will on ancestry to no avail.
I wonder if we have the generations mixed up. It’s possible that our Richard is the one born in 1777 who then moved to Dumfries.
I’m not sure how to verify this as I can’t find any marriage or his age at death in 1824.
I know his wife was Mary & in 1841 she had remarried to Joseph Henderson.
Thanks again
Tobina

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:51 am

Hi
So you don't have an age or evidence of year of birth for Richard?
It's just that if Richard and Mary had their first child in 1810 that suggests they had just married and as most people marry before they are 30 that would give a year of birth as 1780.
The Richard s of Richard and Sarah Billington I found was born c 1777.
The Will is on FMP pm me with an e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

The Richard Billington born 1777 in Stoke on Trent has no marriage or burial in the area so he must have moved elsewhere.
Possible brother John Billington buried 24 Dec 1837 age 64 Burslem St Paul but no Will unfortunately.
Possible marriage and burial for William Billington but not sure it's him.

As you say it's difficult to prove they are the same man ,the same Richard Billington in Stoke and in Dumfries.
There is no marriage to a Mary locally in Staffordshire and I can't see a baptism for Sarah .
There's one for a possible Aunty I missed, Sarah d of Richard and Sarah Billington 28.3.1786 SUT. and other sons Thomas 23.1.1776(Burselm st John), Henry 14.1.1784 , Charles 20.1.1790 for them.

Richard and Sarah Billington are the only Billington couple in the area.

Richard of Cobridge potter goes bankrupt 14.1.1811 according to the Hampshire Chronicle and the furniture and household goods of John,Richard and James are sold by auction 12 Dec 1812 according to the Staffordshire Advertiser.
That's the last sign of him in the Stoke area.
When does Richard appear in Dumfires?

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Return to General research queries