Moderator Control Panel ]

Accessing Adoption Records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Accessing Adoption Records

Postby Grandma Jedi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Someone who was born in 1944 and adopted in 1944 wants to find out their original name and who their birth parents were. They have their Adoption Child Register certificate which gives the date of adoption in the Wallington Juvenile Court in Surrey. They also have a birth certificate that gives their adopted name, sex, date of birth and place of birth as England. The forenames may or may not be their birth names. Looking at the Application Form for adoptees it states that anyone adopted before 1975 must attend a counselling session. They do not want to do this so is there any way they can go forward with their search?

Many thanks for any help.

Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Re: Accessing Adoption Records

Postby junkers » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:38 pm

I don't think so.
junkers

Postby carobradford » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:56 pm

I am afraid not. But it is a pity that this person is put off exercising their right to find out this information by the prospect of meeting a counsellor. Perhaps the following information, from the website of the charity Adoption Search Reunion, might set their mind at rest?

"Where do I have to go for this counselling interview/meeting with social worker/to obtain this information?
When you apply to the Registrar General for access to Birth Records they will explain the process. You can go to your local authority, the voluntary agency which arranged your adoption, an Adoption Support Agency or at the General Register Office.

This is because the counselling appointment was originally included in the Children Act 1975 (and later the Adoption Act 1976) as birth and adoptive families had previously been told that no identifying information would ever be exchanged. What the ‘counselling’ appointment does do is to give you a chance to talk through with an experienced professional your hopes and expectations as well as the implications for yourself and for other people. You will also be able to get advice and information about what further steps you might want to take, if for example, you want to start a search for further information or birth relatives. The appointment is not intended to be a test of you, more a way of helping you think about and explore your options.

What information will I receive when I meet with the adoption social worker?
When you have your meeting with the adoption worker for the access to birth record 'Counselling Interview' you will receive a form that enables you to apply for your original birth certificate. You will also be given another form which you can send to the court where the adoption order was made. The court can then let you know which adoption agency arranged your adoption so that you can contact them for further information about your family background and adoption. The adoption social worker can also tell you about the role of Adoption Contact Registers and also how to register a veto if you do not wish to be contacted."
carobradford

Postby Grandma Jedi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:56 am

carobradford, thank you for your most comprehensive reply, I will pass the information on.

Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Return to General research queries