Moderator Control Panel ]

Susannah/Susan MILLS

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Susannah/Susan MILLS

Postby JMcK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:15 am

Susannah MILLS married Isaac MORSE on 22 April 1861 at Farnham. Banns were published on 7 April (Census night) Can anyone see Susannah and or Isaac in the 1861 census?
The witnesses to the marriage were Richard Wooderson and Mary Wooderson.

In 1851 Susannah is with her family. Parents William and Elizabeth Ann nee Leach, MILLS. St George, Southwark Sub reg district London Road 35 Bridge House Place.
while Isaac is with HIS parents Samuel and Esther nee Solomon, MORSE at St George, Southwark, Sub reg district London Road, 2 Alfred Place.

Neither are recorded as being with those families in 1861.

3 surviving children of marriage. One, Esther, is with her MORSE Grandparents in 1871, while Fanny and Isaac are with their Uncle David MORSE and his wife Leah.

They were divorced - decree absolute 20 Dec 1870.
Where were they both in 1871?
JMcK

Re: Susannah/Susan MILLS

Postby MoVidger » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:43 pm

In your post regarding Isaac’s brother (David Morse), you mentioned that Isaac was an actor. Considering Isaac and Susannah married in Farnham, could they have been working/living in that region (under an alias) prior to their April 1861 marriage?

I have a 19th-century relative who was an actor/vaudeville performer. His stage name was his surname (split into two names). His wife performed with him throughout England and Scotland, where they can be located in various census reports (sans children).To further confuse matters, one of their sons took on his father’s nom de plume when he became an actor!
MoVidger

Postby JMcK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi Mo,
Yes, that depressing thought had occurred to me, at the marriage Isaac calls himself an Artist. I know the nom de plume he later used ..George Kirk. And his son Isaac Alfred, aka Phillip Isaac, was occasionally Edward Surrey (he too has 2 wives I’ve yet to fully identify).
I have been hoping that as Isaac sen was only 20 at the time of the marriage to Susannah he hadn’t yet got around to using a nom de plume.

On the back of the marriage cert (which is included in the divorce documents] is this “ do not let this be seen for God’s sake. Do not let any of the family speak about Suzy being married yet.”

I don’t know if that means she was married in the first place without the knowledge of most of the family. if banns were called this seems less likely. But they were married out of area,
Or..did she have another husband lined up before the divorce?

She does not appear to have been pregnant. The first birth I have is 6 March 1862. And the last is the Jan qtr of 1866. Divorce petition was filed 14 Jan 1869.

“The said Isaac Morse having since the celebration of the said marriage been guilty of adultery coupled with desertion of the said Susannah Morse for two years and upwards without reasonable excuse”.

From sept 1865 in fact. Having taken up with someone called Alice Murice (I don’t think it says Maurice).

Jo
JMcK

Postby MoVidger » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:33 pm

My relative was already using his nom de plume by age 16! At least he kept the same stage name throughout his lengthy career. His children also treaded the boards. All with stage names, too. One son emigrated to the USA (and performed in Broadway shows and silent film); another son was a member of grand opera companies in the UK & USA, then settled in Australia.

Wouldn't it be funny if my chap and Issac knew each other when they performed in London.
MoVidger

Postby JMcK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:14 pm

MoVidger wrote:
Wouldn't it be funny if my chap and Issac knew each other when they performed in London.

It would be hilarious!

these theatrical branches of families are very interesting. I hadn't realised, until I started this particular research, just what a big industry the music halls etc were.

Isaac's second wife Clara was a music teacher (before being put in an asylum - probably because Isaac was so awful!) but she had various relatives also in the theatrical business including one actor who was apparently in 2 silent movies. I've been trying to track them down. No luck so far.
JMcK

Postby trace » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 pm

There's another divorce - if it's the same Isaac Morse....

see Lloyds Weekly Newspaper 11 Apr 1897 page 3

Mrs Constance Maria Morse proprietress of Castle Hotel, Brighton married Mr Isaac Morse 23 Dec 1893 an optician previously an actor.....another woman named Flora Gray....

or Pall Mall Gazette 10 Apr 1897.....page 8..... mentions Isaac returned to acting.
trace

Postby JMcK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:28 pm

Yes, it is the same one. And you would think Constance would have known better than to marry him, she must have known his character, because she was performing on stage with him for some years including during the pursuit for support by his previous wife, Clara Smart. I haven't found a divorce for that marriage, so I suspect Constance didn't need to bother with the divorce as it was a bigamous marriage.
JMcK

Postby brunes08 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Regarding your query concerning the whereabouts of Isaac and Susannah in the 1871 census following their divorce. My gt gt grandparents were divorced in 1875. I found an account of the divorce hearing in their local paper. Where my gt gt grandparents actually lived at the time of the hearing was mentioned in the account. You may possibly be able to find a similar account on Isaac and Susannah's divorce in their local newspaper that could help you track them down. Just a thought!
brunes08

Postby JMcK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:26 pm

and an excellent thought it is. 35 Union street, Southwark for Susannah. No address given for Isaac and Susannah is not at that address in 1871.
JMcK

Postby MoVidger » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:34 pm

On FamilySearch, there is this passenger record. Isaac Morse is listed as "Gent" in the actual image.

Name Isaac Morse
Event Type Immigration
Event Date 1869
Event Place New York City, New York, United States
Gender Male
Age 27
Birth Year (Estimated) 1842
Birthplace England
Ship Name City Of Washington
MoVidger

Next

Return to General research queries