Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Massey or Chambers

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mary Massey or Chambers

Postby TallK » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Hi

I've managed to get to 1800 or so down one of the family tree branches but now got a bit stuck.
There's a William Brammer who married Mary Massey in 1824 in Wolverhampton. On the parish marriage record it says that she is a widow. Would Massey be Mary's married name or would she have reverted back to her maiden name?

When looking at the children that are mentioned on the censuses and born after 1837 the GRO has no record of any maiden name of Massey.

There's both Chambers and some no name. Do I just bite the bullet and order the certificates?

In the baptism records for Staffs there's a few Mary Chambers and Mary Massey. Bit confused and going round in circles. :s
Last edited by TallK on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TallK

Re: Widow on Marriage Record

Postby ianbee » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:08 pm

If they are the William and Mary in Rugeley, maiden name of Mary is given as Chambers for births of Elizabeth and Thomas

Possible:
England, Staffordshire, Church Records, 1538-1944
Event: Marriage
Name: William Brammar
Residence: Rugeley
Spouse's Name: Mary Chambers
Spouse's Residence: Rugeley
Date: 27 Dec 1824
Place: Rugeley, Staffordshire
Parish: St Augustine

Witnesses were Hugh Brammar, Elizabeth Benton (FreeReg)
Image should be on findmypast
ianbee

Postby AntonyM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:13 am

MASSEY would be her married name.... and it is always possible that she may have been married more than once before.

If you know the couple definitely had children after 1837 then the maiden name on those birth entries should give you her name before the first marriage. If they didn't it makes things more difficult, and you need to look for marriages between a ? MASSEY and and a Mary ?, and then confirm that the relevant man died before 1824.
AntonyM

Postby ianbee » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:21 am

We don't know that the Massey marriage is the right one.
If the maiden name is Chambers, which has been mentioned, there is an alternative marriage.

Perhaps TallK would like to tell us which family they are looking at.
Ian
ianbee

Postby TallK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:47 am

Hi

Many thanks for your help.

Chambers in Rugeley would probably make more sense than the rabbit hole of Massey in Wolverhampton I have found myself in.
I looked for marriages between William Brammer and Mary in Staffs and the Wolverhampton one was the one that came up.

I am looking for the marriage of Mary Ann Brammer's (my 3rd great grandmother, b.1833) parents who according to the census records were William and Mary.
Her siblings were and (GRO info)
Jane b1832
William b1837–
Elizabeth b1839
Thomas b1842

There's an Elizabeth and Thomas in the GRO records in Lichfield with the mother's name of Chambers. William isn't there so imagine that he was born just before the records began.
TallK

Return to General research queries