Moderator Control Panel ]

Family history book

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Family history book

Postby LottieW » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 pm

I'm putting a family history into a photo book for a relative - looking for the best format to use and whether its better to present from present day back or from oldest generations to present day. Struggling to know which would be most straightforward. Any guidance gratefully received. Thanks
LottieW

Re: Family history book

Postby JMcK » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:48 pm

I think there are as many answers as people. It also depends on the information you have.
If you are just going to do a direct ancestral outline with illustrations then I would start at the most recent, but of course the reality is that some people have a lot more information to be recorded than others.
Depending on the photo book website you use you will also be limited as to the number of pages you have available. I have ended up writing many separate books. Well 4 so far and two of them were each just about one (different) person, while the other 2 covered 3 or 4 generations DESCENDING from one key couple. I have more in the pipeline. The satisfaction of the book arriving in the mail is almost as addictive as doing the research.
If you toggle “ writing your family history”. There are a lot of websites with suggestions.
JMcK

Postby SoozOne » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 am

I would think start from youngest descendant of your person, then work back to oldest known.
Depends though whether you want direct line or families.
I would also first check with the recipient as to what he/she would like. Saves you possibly having to redo the project.

Sent from my iPod touch using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Postby Guy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:01 am

You mention you are putting a family history into a photo book for a relative, that suggests it will not be going back before 1839 at the earliest when daguerreotypes were introduced.

If this is what is being considered then I would agree with starting from the present day and finishing with the earliest you have.
I suggest this way as you go back you will have less and less photographs available and will possibly have gaps in the generations.

If however you mean you are writing a family history which you are illustrating with photos of the individuals I would start and the earliest date and work to the present day.
When working in this manner you work forwards and leave the reader in the present day allowing them to add future generations either in blank pages at the back of the book or in a second volume.
People are far more likely to add the current generation to a book than an ancient generation.

If you intend to add a tree in the book I would always use a descendant tree starting with the oldest generation, no matter which way the narrative or text reads.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Return to General research queries