Moderator Control Panel ]

Marriage of Jabez Wood

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Marriage of Jabez Wood

Postby Katman63 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:48 am

I am trying to find a record of marriage for Jabez Wood pre 1878. He was born in Finedon, Northamptonshire in 1839, joined the army in 1857 and served 21 years including 10 years in India. He was discharged in 1878 at Chichester where he married my Great great grandmother Alice Mills. On their marriage certificate it says that Jabez is a widower but I can not find any record of his first marriage.
Katman63

Re: Marriage of Jabez Wood

Postby phsvm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:41 pm

If it were me I'd question the 'widower' status.

On my great grandfather's marriage certificate to my great grandmother he listed his status as widower. However, I've never been able to find evidence of an earlier marriage although I have found him living with another woman (who appears on the census as his 'wife') and their two sons.

I know when he married by great grandmother that he definately wasn't a widower as I've found this first 'wife' living with their two sons in another part of the country with another man for some years after his marriage. They are listed as man and wife but again I've been unable to find any marriage for these two.

My feeling is that my great grandfather met my great grandmother and, for some reason, described himself as a 'widower' from the word go never thinking that he'd have to continue with the lie.
phsvm

Postby ksouthall » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:37 am

He could have married or lived with someone in India. The FIBIS website might be of some use.
ksouthall

Postby Katman63 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks, I've Googled FIBIS, as I'm new to this and had no idea such a website existed. I wish he'd had a more unusual name but that would make it too easy!
As for if he lied on his marriage certificate it might be possible, he was miles from his home in a strange town so no-one would query his word. He was also a soldier whose medical history suggests he had 'experience' shall we say.
Katman63

Postby ianbee » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:58 pm

If he was at home in 1869, a possible
Dec 1869 Farnham 2a 157
Lavis, Louisa
Wood, Jabez

Farnham being the district for Aldershot.
James Jennings seems to have married Rebecca Atwooll Bennett (same reference)

The only Jabez and Louisa Wood couple I can see in the census are in Kent, and the marriage for them appears to be in 1858 in Islington.
ianbee

Postby MaureenE » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:12 pm

It is unlucky that although there is a service record on findmypast, it seems to be incomplete, being the discharge section only. Generally there would be a section where wives and children would be listed.

I had a quick look on findmypast in the India Office marriages database, but could not see a marriage record for India, under the name Jabez Wood.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby ianbee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:51 am

MaureenE wrote:Generally there would be a section where wives and children would be listed.

Are you sure?
Royal Hospital Chelsea: Soldiers Service Documents
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... s/r/C14305
"Documents after 1883 usually contain fuller particulars, such as next of kin and details of marriage and children."
ianbee

Postby MaureenE » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:21 pm

ianbee wrote:Are you sure?
Royal Hospital Chelsea: Soldiers Service Documents
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... s/r/C14305
"Documents after 1883 usually contain fuller particulars, such as next of kin and details of marriage and children."

Thanks for pointing this out Ian, as he was discharged in 1878, you would not expect to see details of his family. I was getting mixed up with the date for the Married Rolls attached to the Muster Rolls, at the National Archives, which may appear from 1868, and which contain some family information for wives and children for whom married quarters were provided.

The Married Rolls are not available online and require a personal visit or a researcher. As with Muster Rolls generally, not all have survived.

The Service record was not complete as it could be, as it did not contain the Attestation form.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby ianbee » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:41 pm

ianbee wrote:If he was at home in 1869, a possible
Dec 1869 Farnham 2a 157

He was in Aldershot in 1869 according to his Medical History Sheet
Should be in the north east in 1871

Interesting that he had been known as John Thompson in the army (seemingly confirmed by the Worldwide Army Index for 1861 and 1871)
Attachments
Jabez Wood Medical.JPG
Jabez Wood Medical.JPG (37.2 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
ianbee

Postby Katman63 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi
Thank you for taking the time to look at this. I noticed the name John Thompson but assumed that they had made a mistake and this referred to another man.
Jabez seems to have been in Chichester from 1872 which is where he would have met my great great grandmother. If I read his Service Record correctly he returned to this country in 1868, if he had married after his return then Aldershot or Sunderland are possible. I had a look at the 1871 census for those areas. I couldn't find a match. If Jabez was still in the army would he have filled in a census return?
Katman63

Next

Return to General research queries