Moderator Control Panel ]

David MORSE - Leah PITT marriage

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

David MORSE - Leah PITT marriage

Postby JMcK » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:49 pm

David MORSE is unmarried and with his parents (Samuel and Esther) in Southwark in the 1861 census.
By 24 June 1862 he is declaring himself the father of Miriam and husband of Leah formerly PITT
in Bristol.

in subsequent censuses Leah is consistent about her birth - about 1840 in Marlborough Wiltshire. David b about 1833, Middlesex.

Can anyone see a marriage between David and Leah, presumably between the 1861 census and June 1862.
I cannot see Leah PITT in 1861 (nor 1851 and 1841) But conception logistics mean I presume she was either in Southwark or Bristol, so that is where I would expect the marriage to be.

I am sure the family of David Morse was Jewish, but I haven't been able to find the marriage of David & Leah on the JewishGen database.
JMcK

Re: David MORSE - Leah PITT marriage

Postby MoVidger » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:51 am

There are these 1861 marriages for the Lambeth district, Sept Vol 1d Page 623 --
MORSE, Charles David
PITT, Eliza
GLOVER, Mary
KEATING, Richard
MoVidger

Postby JMcK » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:19 am

interestingly the entry on Ancestry says it is Vol 1d page 625 and the other names are Georgiana Prince and Henry James Wood.

And there is an Eliza PITT baptism Marlborough in 1840, while I have not found one there for a Leah PITT so far, but Eliza seems a long way from Leah, and at no other time (that I have found) does David have Charles appended to his name.

I'll get that marriage cert though, and see.
JMcK

Postby sdup26 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:05 am

Just for interest, as you're sending for the marriage cert anyway: Eliza Pitt b1840 in Marlborough, lived with parents William (carpenter b Devon) and Ann in 1851.The GRO index shows Eliza's mother's maiden name was Jennings. William Pitt married Ann Jennings 25/12/1834 in Marlborough.

If David's family was Jewish, as you believe, did Eliza convert after marriage and take the Jewish name Leah?
sdup26

Postby JMcK » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Glad to k ow that is who you think Eliza Pitt was. I hadn’t thought of converting. Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll see what the marriage says and go from there.
JMcK

Postby MoVidger » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 pm

On FMP, there are various marriage announcements for their daughter Miriam. Father David is described as "David Morse, Esq".
MoVidger

Postby JMcK » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Thank you Mo, yes I have those.

This has been an interesting little sideline research. David's father Samuel was an optician, mother Esther Solomon. David seems to have taken over that business for the most part, except for a short period when he went off to Bristol to work with his brother Abraham who was a money lender (Abraham and family buried in Bristol and appear on the JewishGen site). Plenty of newspaper notices for them. Another brother Isaac occasionally worked in the opticians business but for the most part was an actor (and a rake). He married 4 times, the second of which was to a woman in 'my (very extended) family', whom he abandoned. His first and third wives divorced him, although I think the third marriage may have been bigamous. He had 4 children by his first wife, he seems to have had the custody of them after the divorce and from the censuses I have presumed that he palmed them off around the family. Mainly to David and Leah, who had just the one child of their own. I am fairly sure he had another 2 daughters by his last wife, but before they were married. Isaac had an alias "George Kirk". I have become so fascinated with Isaac's progress that I have been trying to tidy up the rest of his family. You know how it is I am sure!
JMcK

Return to General research queries