Moderator Control Panel ]

William Page Death

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

William Page Death

Postby boxster4 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Does anyone know when and where William Page died. Born in 1858 Aston Birmingham UK. Married Emma Clarke 1877 Aston Birmingham.
Children William & Alice twins born Holborn London. Arthur born 1881 Birmingham.
Florence born 1887 Birmingham. Ada born 1889 Birmingham. Earnest Albert born 1894 Birmingham.
In 1901 census they were living in Shorditch London. In 1911 Emma,(married not widowed) Florence, Ada and Ernest are all living in Islington. William not listed. In fact can't find him anywhere in 1911.
His occupation was gun maker or Sight files.
I have sent for numerous death certificates both from London and Birmingham and they are all the wrong person. Checked Hospitals, prisons, electoral rolls etc.
Any ideas would be welcome
boxster4

Re: William Page Death

Postby sdup26 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:03 pm

In 1911, Florence is first on the census return, as if she was the Head, and after it was filled in, Ernest Albert signed it. Is it possible their parents weren't at home, and they entered Emma's details without thinking, then stopped before entering William's? Why would they do that? In 1911, a William Page aged 53, and wife Emma aged 52, both born in Birmingham, were visiting Thomas and Emma Allwright in Erith, Kent, and are listed on the Allwright's census return. Could they be your William and Emma? I accept this is speculation, but in the apparent absence of a death for William, maybe it's worth considering.
sdup26

Postby MoVidger » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:13 pm

If the Erith 1911 census record which sdup26 found turns out to be your William, then there is this death registration possibility:

Deaths Sep 1919
Page William H age 62 Woolwich 1d 888
MoVidger

Postby boxster4 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:31 pm

sdup26 wrote:In 1911, Florence is first on the census return, as if she was the Head, and after it was filled in, Ernest Albert signed it. Is it possible their parents weren't at home, and they entered Emma's details without thinking, then stopped before entering William's? Why would they do that? In 1911, a William Page aged 53, and wife Emma aged 52, both born in Birmingham, were visiting Thomas and Emma Allwright in Erith, Kent, and are listed on the Allwright's census return. Could they be your William and Emma? I accept this is speculation, but in the apparent absence of a death for William, maybe it's worth considering.

Thanks for your post. I had considered that a possibility. I have tried to find William and Emma on voting lists but still not sure if they return to Birmingham. Emma is there in 1939 with her son and daughter in law and dies there in 1946.
I think I may have found Ada marriage to a John Lewer in Islington 1913 so will send for certificate to see if her father is still alive.
Other than that wonder if he has joined the forces but not sure if he would have been to old.
boxster4

Postby boxster4 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:36 pm

MoVidger wrote:If the Erith 1911 census record which sdup26 found turns out to be your William, then there is this death registration possibility:

Deaths Sep 1919
Page William H age 62 Woolwich 1d 888

Thank you for your response.
I have sent for that certificate and it is not the right person. He is William Henry Page a newsagent and the informant was not my William Page's relative.
His wife and family are on the 1911 census living in Islington. It is possible he could have been in Erith with another woman posing as his wife or Emma is listed down twice. Guess I will never know.
boxster4

Postby ianbee » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:25 pm

boxster4 wrote:I think I may have found Ada marriage to a John Lewer in Islington 1913 so will send for certificate to see if her father is still alive.

Ada Page married Arthur John Lewer, 11 May 1913, Islington. But her father was Edward Page, Master Baker

A possible might be the Florence Page marriage to Arthur Gilbert Richards, 3 September 1913, St Matthew Islington.
Florence was 26 years old, a spinster, father William Page, Gunsmith
Residence for both 1 Wilton Square
Witnessed by Ada Page

The previous marriage, previous day, notes that the bride's father was deceased.

1939 - Is that your Emma at 60 Colonial Road, Birmingham, born 27 Nov 1858, with Arthur and Phoebe Page?
Seems to say she is married? She was not listed at that address in the 1939 electoral register.
Ian
ianbee

Postby boxster4 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:12 pm

ianbee wrote:
boxster4 wrote:I think I may have found Ada marriage to a John Lewer in Islington 1913 so will send for certificate to see if her father is still alive.

Ada Page married Arthur John Lewer, 11 May 1913, Islington. But her father was Edward Page, Master Baker

A possible might be the Florence Page marriage to Arthur Gilbert Richards, 3 September 1913, St Matthew Islington.
Florence was 26 years old, a spinster, father William Page, Gunsmith
Residence for both 1 Wilton Square
Witnessed by Ada Page

The previous marriage, previous day, notes that the bride's father was deceased.

1939 - Is that your Emma at 60 Colonial Road, Birmingham, born 27 Nov 1858, with Arthur and Phoebe Page?
Seems to say she is married? She was not listed at that address in the 1939 electoral register.
Ian

Thanks Ian for that information. I have clearly sent for the wrong marriage certificate but will now send for Florence's.
When you say the previous day notes the father is deceased are you referring to Florence or someone else?
Emma is certainly living with her son in 1939. I think if she was still married she would have been listed with her husband. She dies a widower in the workhouse infirmary in Birmingham in 1946 from cardio vascular degeneration or senility. Informant A page of 64 Colonial rd. Birmingham.
Do you know if and when Ada married or if Ernest joined the forces in WW1.
I really appreciate your posted information are you researching this family too?
Lynne
boxster4

Postby ianbee » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:26 am

Hi
I mean that other marriages there have noted that fathers were deceased. Which may be a hopeful sign that William Page was still alive. But it cannot be guaranteed.

Is this Ada's birth registration?
June qtr 1889 Aston 6d 241
Page, Ada
mother Clarke

There might be a possible marriage for her after the war. But it's not available online.
Sep 1922 Islington 1b 826
Page, Ada - spouse Sheppard
Sheppard, Edward R. - spouse Page

1939 Register
111 Tower Gardens Rd, Tottenham M.B.
Edward R Sheppard, born 16 Mar 97, Married, Departmental Foreman Food Processing Food Manf Co., Warden A.R.P. Service J Lyons & Co Ltd.
Ada Sheppard, born 11 Mar 89, Married, Unpaid Domestic Duties
closed record

Ada's year of birth was originally given as 93, this was later altered in green ink to 89 (change dated 16.7.71)

Death
Sep 1973 Haringey 5b 1689
Sheppard, Ada
d-o-b 11 March 1889

Ian
ianbee

Return to General research queries