Moderator Control Panel ]

Benjamin Manouch Military record

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Benjamin Manouch Military record

Postby Katman63 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:15 pm

Hello,
I am confused by my Great great grandfathers marriage certificate. He married in 1853 and the certificate states his occupation as 'soldier', however, both the 1851 and 1861 census returns show him as a 'labourer'. I can't find a record of his military service. His full name was Benjamin William Man(n)ouch, born 1833 in Canterbury, Kent.Is it possible he lied? PS the 1851 census has his name spelled Meneuch.
Katman63

Re: Benjamin Manouch Military record

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:34 pm

In that era, military service records survive only if someone was discharged to pension, so he could have served for only a short time - bit tricky to see where it fits in, though.

However, another possibility is that he was actually in the Militia, as the word "soldier" seems to cover a multitude of sins, as it were. Apparently a lot of the militia were called up for service during the Crimean War, when they replaced the Regulars on garrison duty in the UK - this would be a further reason to call himself a soldier, if he was actually in uniform. However, looking at Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_War, I don't know if BM would have been in uniform when he married - the militia might have been called up slightly later????? Depends when he married.

So - I'd suggest that you try and find out what militia records survive, particularly in the county archives for wherever he lived.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby sdup26 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:53 pm

The only military record I can find probably refers to your Benjamin's son. Benjamin Mannuch enlisted in Canterbury in 1877 aged 18, and names his next of kin as father Benjamin, also of Canterbury.
sdup26

Postby Katman63 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, the area Benjamin married in is very near to the barracks in Canterbury at that time so the militia theory may work. He married in 1853 - too soon for Crimean War?
And, yes the Benjamin listed in the Service records is my Great grand fathers son. :)
Katman63

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Katman63 wrote: ... He married in 1853 - too soon for Crimean War? ....

I hoped that you had the exact date - the Crimean War started in October 1853 so I can't answer your question!

A quick Google suggests that, if he is local, then the East Kent Militia is one possibility, but there also seems to have been an artillery militia in the area.

If he was embodied (called up and put into uniform) then I think that the National Archives at Kew will have the relevant Muster Books and Pay Lists (an MBPL is one document). They don't have a lot of detail but a rare name (maybe?) like that might be diagnostic and show that he had been called up. And they're going to have dates in there showing what happened when.

Otherwise one of the Kent Archives might hold other militia related lists to show that he'd been a militiaman.

But be wary - there are different sorts of unit at various times - not just militia infantry but militia artillery, volunteers (not sure about the times there). All might be referred to as a soldier.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Katman63 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:36 am

Benjamin married in June 1853. Following the previous post I did a quick search and it seems that the East Kent Militia Muster Roles are at the Beaney Museum in Canterbury. So I will contact them.
Katman63

Return to General research queries