Moderator Control Panel ]

Martha Grimsdale/Grimsdell Bucks/Oxon

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Martha Grimsdale/Grimsdell Bucks/Oxon

Postby richaldis » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:01 am

I'm trying to trace the birth or baptism of my g g grandmother Martha Grimsdell/Grimsdale.

She is recorded on the 1851 census living in Stokenchurch with her father William, her mother Mary and various siblings including Eliza and Thomas. Her older sister Eliza is listed in the civil birth indexes but Martha doesn't seem to be.

She was possibly born around 1844 in Burnham? Bucks, though later in life she believed she had been born in Stokenchurch. She was married to my gg grandfather John William Pullin in Old Windsor in 1864 when she was listed as of full age (which is unhelpful tbh)

Does anyone have any insight or a better ability to search for awkward info that I'm missing?

Thanks

Jo
richaldis

Re: Martha Grimsdale/Grimsdell Bucks/Oxon

Postby ciderdrinker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:25 am

Hello
I've had a look at the new GRO index which gives mother's maiden names .
So you have Grimsdale/Grimsdell with a mother's maiden name of Lawr(a/e)nce.

This gives Eliza and Thomas and in the middle
Elizabeth Grimsdell Lawrance The Wycombe union vol 6 page 463 Mar 1845.

I think that is Martha and by the 1851 they had changed her name ,probably because they already had Eliza and it was too similar.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Re: Martha Grimsdale/Grimsdell Bucks/Oxon

Postby richaldis » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:17 pm

Many thanks.

This just gets more confusing as they also had another daughter named Elizabeth. But that's typical of this family. In the next generation there are girls in the same family all named with variations of Elizabeth.

I'm going to have to buy the certificate in the hope I'll get some more info e.g. a middle name.

If anyone has the baptism records for the Wycombe area I'd be very grateful for a lookup in this case.
richaldis

Return to General research queries