Moderator Control Panel ]

Emily Myra St. Oysth Pollard - Ipswich and Kent

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Emily Myra St. Oysth Pollard - Ipswich and Kent

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Emily Myra St. Osyth Pollard was born 9 Sep 1876 in Ipswich, Suffolk. She was the daughter of John Metcalfe Pollard (solicitor) and Sarah Tomlin, both of whom had roots in Lancashire. I have John’s line back a few generations and know Sarah’s parents. Emily was the youngest of ten children.
I found a brief newspaper reference to Emily when she was 14 and successfully passed a music exam. She was with her parents in 1881 and 1891 censuses. After 1891 I have not been able to find her in any census.
Emily died 18 Feb 1930, in Bexley, Kent at an “asylum for the insane”. She died of lobar-pneumonia and “general paralysis of the insane”. Would like to know if the latter is a general term and what it meant. She was listed as a spinster.
Strangely, on her death certificate, although she was 53 years old, her father’s name was listed. Her father had been dead since 1902.
I would like to find Emily between the time she was on the 1891 census at age 14 and the time she died in 1930 - I do have some references but there are gaps.
I did find a Myra Pollard, age 24 (matches), b. Ipswich (ditto), in Greenwich, Kent in 1901. She was listed as a domestic servant, which seems odd for the daughter of a solicitor. By 1901 her father had been widowed, remarried, and was living in Marylebone, London. He did not leave a probate record, which I also thought odd. There are many mentions in the newspapers re his career but no mention he might have fallen on hard times.
In the 1901 census Myra is listed as a visitor, occupation domestic servant, and is with the Stiles family, the head running a restaurant. I can find no connection with this family and Emily Myra’s. One connection I did find was marriage banns being read in the local parish church, very close to the Stiles’ restaurant. They were for her brother, closest in age, Edward Rawsthorne Pollard and his wife Sarah Hopkins in late 1898. They were married in Salisbury. Edward was in the army.
Someone kindly sent me some records that show Emily was admitted to the asylum in 1902 and was living at Crooms Hill, Greenwich and discharged in 1903 to a Mrs. James, 4 Churchfields, Greenwich. Don’t have any info on Mrs. James. Emily was listed as a hairdresser.
I think the Myra on 1901 must be her, given that she was later in Greenwich, but am surprised at her occupation and that she is there at all. I would also like to find her after her 1903 discharge, if that is possible.
DianaCanada

Re: Emily Myra St. Oysth Pollard - Ipswich and Kent

Postby pollymac » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:14 pm

One of my ancestors died in an asylum from general paralysis of the insane. On researching it I discovered it is syphilis. There is agreat deal available online about it and the symptoms make pretty grim reading.
pollymac

Postby tezle61 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:51 pm

My nan died from this condition in Barming Asylum. I am told you can request the hospital records if you send authentic birth certificates proving direct descendacy which I am going to do.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
tezle61

Postby peter kent » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:57 pm

General Paralysis (or paresis) of the Insane is a specific term. See the entry in Wikipedia
peter kent

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:39 pm

pollymac wrote:One of my ancestors died in an asylum from general paralysis of the insane. On researching it I discovered it is syphilis. There is agreat deal available online about it and the symptoms make pretty grim reading.

Thank you Polly. That was a surprise. It says in the Wikipedia article that onset is 10 to 30 years after infection. I am just guessing, but Emily might have been admitted the first time for another mental health issue.
It's sad to think of this young woman, perhaps abandoned by her family (or she had rejected them) after her mother's death when she was a teenager, going from Ipswich to Greenwich for her own reasons. My guess is that she might have been in and out of institutions until her death in 1930.

I have found two uncles (of hers), a cousin, and a couple of her nephews who died in institutions, most of their death certificates mention a mental health condition.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:41 pm

[quote="tezle61"]My nan died from this condition in Barming Asylum. I am told you can request the hospital records if you send authentic birth certificates proving direct descendacy...

Good to know. Emily is not a direct ancestor but apparently the London Archives might hold more info.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:42 pm

[quote="peter kent"]General Paralysis (or paresis) of the Insane is a specific term. See the entry in Wikipedia[/quote

Thank you, I did read it, very informative.
DianaCanada

Postby MoVidger » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:37 pm

I see that Emily's death in 1930 was registered in Dartford. Could this be her in the 1911 census?

Name: E P
Age in 1911: 36
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Relation to Head: Patient
Civil Parish: Dartford
Street address: London County Lunatic Asylum, Bexley
Marital Status: Single
Birthplace: not known

Registration district: Dartford
Registration District Number: 43
Sub-registration district: Dartford
ED, institution, or vessel: 29-31, 37
Piece: 3791
MoVidger

Postby DianaCanada » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:59 am

MoVidger wrote:I see that Emily's death in 1930 was registered in Dartford. Could this be her in the 1911 census?

Name: E P
Age in 1911: 36
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Relation to Head: Patient
Civil Parish: Dartford
Street address: London County Lunatic Asylum, Bexley
Marital Status: Single
Birthplace: not known

Registration district: Dartford
Registration District Number: 43
Sub-registration district: Dartford
ED, institution, or vessel: 29-31, 37
Piece: 3791

Thank you, MoVidger, and I apologize for not replying sooner.
This does look like it could be Emily.
DianaCanada

Return to General research queries