Moderator Control Panel ]

William Rowe - British subject?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

William Rowe - British subject?

Postby annfaml » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:00 pm

Hope someone can help me please. I am looking for new information or a suggested research route for my 4x great grandfather William Rowe. He was born in approx 1796 and I have very little information about him. I have so far found him on only 2 documents the 1841 and 1851 census with his wife and 2 children.
On the 1851 census he is listed living in St Peter, Walworth, Surrey with his wife Ann and sons William and Samuel. He is a carpenter and they have a servant in the house Anna Mills. Its states that he was born in Cornwall, British Subject.
On the 1841 census he is listed as Willm Rowe, living in St Peters, St Mary Newington, Surrey with his wife Mary Ann and sons Wm and Saml. He is again listed as a carpenter and there is an additional lady in the household Maryann Pike. In the county box it is ticked as not born in the county and in the following box it is ticked for being born in Scotland, Ireland or Foreign Parts. I can't find him on the 1861 census and cannot also find a burial or marriage to Mary Ann.
I really don't know if this means that he was born in Cornwall or abroad? Any suggestions would be gratefully received
annfaml

Re: William Rowe - British subject?

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi, have checked on scotlands people and no William Rowe.
Good luck
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby brunes08 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:20 pm

The name William Rowe is not uncommon in Cornwall. Just a quick look on freereg.org and cornwall-opc-database.org brings up 16 baptisms for a William Rowe in the period 1795-1797. Without any other information it is not going to be easy to find the right family as these baptisms took place in parishes across Cornwall.
brunes08

Postby junkers » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:00 pm

I wonder whether he was born in County Cornwall in Jamaica, on ancestry there are several Slave Registers entries for Jamaica in the Elizabeth District, that would make sense for the British Subject entry in the British Census for 1851.
junkers

Postby sdup26 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:34 am

I'm not convinced that William may have been 'born in foreign parts.' On the 1841 census, the enumerator's ticks in the right hand column are quite distinct. But next to William's name is just a small mark, more like a slip of the pen. In 1851, he's 'born in Cornwall' and 'British Subject.' If he was born in Cornwall, he would indeed be a British Subject, so why mention it? Was he an ex-sailor? Maybe a ship's carpenter?

In 1841, a Mary Ann Pike is living with William, Mary Ann and their sons. Have you investigated the possibility that she's Mary Ann's mother? In 1851, William's wife is 'Ann' and born Kent about 1809.
I can't find William and his wife in 1861, but in 1871, in St Mary Newington, there's a Mary Ann Rowe, 62 (b1809) a widow born in Brompton, Kent.
sdup26

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:28 am

The logical reason for mentioning "British Subject" with Cornwall is that it's not the Cornwall next to Devon but the one in Jamaica, as suggested by Junkers above. Otherwise, why mention it?

Although what if he were born in Cornwall, England, but his father were born outside the UK? He might want to emphasise his British nationality then.

In reality, we are just guessing. British Subject / Cornwall is an anomaly and can't be explained on the basis of what evidence we have. We need more evidence but how to get it? I don't know!!!

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby annfaml » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Thank you all for your thoughts. My dad and I have been debating for the past six months why you would deliberately have yourself recorded as British subject and all we could think of was that he had to have been born to British parents abroad.
I am fascinated by the idea of Cornwall County in Jamaica, thank you for that "junkers".
I have definitely found Mary Ann now in both the 1861 and 1871 census. In the 1861 she is still in the same house as 1851. She is from Brompton in Kent, not having any luck though with a marriage or a Pike connection.
This Rowe family is a complete nightmare. I am descended from their son Samuel and he has several basic areas of information missing. There is no baptism so far for either him or his brother and no deaths for either one. I can't find his entry on the 1861 census and his wife Ellen Jarvis and her family are just as much a mystery!
annfaml

Postby MoVidger » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:58 pm

According to his son's 1862 marriage record, father William is listed as deceased.

Could this be William's death record? The age certainly fits.
ROWE, WILLIAM SLOMAN age 60
GRO Reference: 1855 D Quarter in ST MARY NEWINGTON Volume 01D Page 154

Update: the above death isn't your William Rowe. The chap above was born in Devon and was a clergyman.

Also, I glimpsed various London Workhouse records on Ancestry for what could be William's widow, as well as his son Samuel (in the Lambeth/Newington area).

There's also an 1856 marriage banns record for a William Rowe and a Maria Pike on Ancestry. I couldn't see the actual marriage record, though.
Last edited by MoVidger on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:10 pm

annfaml wrote:In the county box it is ticked as not born in the county and in the following box it is ticked for being born in Scotland, Ireland or Foreign Parts.

As I've said before on here, enumerators did not tick.
The whether born county column has an "N" for Not Born County
ALL the not born county entries in the district have been ticked. No doubt later by a government clerk, when counting up.
ianbee

Postby sdup26 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:12 pm

As usual, you are absolutely right Ian, and we are well rebuked.
sdup26

Next

Return to General research queries