Moderator Control Panel ]

William Rowe - British subject?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: William Rowe - British subject?

Postby ianbee » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:55 pm

I'm sure there's no need to feel rebuked sdup!
It's certainly looking like this might be tricky problem.
Ian
ianbee

Re: William Rowe - British subject?

Postby sdup26 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:10 pm

OK, I won't feel rebuked, but I agree we should concentrate on the fact that William wasn't born in county in 1841 - that is, not in Surrey. In 1851, he says he was born in Cornwall, but added that he was a British Subject, raising the possibility that he was born abroad - Junkers suggested Jamaica, and St Catherine's C of E Church, Jamaica, has a baptism for a William Rowe 07/08/1793, to Jane Ann Beckford, no father named.

As to William's son, Samuel Rowe, he married Ellen Jarvis 14th Oct 1862, naming his father as William, deceased, a carpenter. Ellen's father was also William, deceased, a carman. In 1851, William Jarvis aged 35, carman, lives in St Saviour, Southwark with wife Elizabeth. William was 'not born in county.' Living with them are E. Mary Miggs, boxmaker, b Foreign Parts, AP Miggs, also b FP, plus BC Jarvis aged 7, Ellen Jarvis aged 3, and ? Jarvis aged 2, all three bic.

You say Ellen's family are a mystery - how far have you got with them?
sdup26

Previous

Return to General research queries