Moderator Control Panel ]

RARE relay

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

RARE relay

Postby blaby » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:25 pm

In the course of working on my Family Tree I came across an athletics medal that I presume was won by a family member or friend. The medal has a central figure who appears to be supporting a crown on one finger. Either side of the figure are the letters RA and RE in old script and below is a scroll with your motto QUO.FAS.ET.GLORIA.DUCUNT.

The inscription reads: 1st A.D.B. 220 YDS RELAY 1927 WINNERS.

From the marking inside the case, the medal was produced by F Phillips, Medallist, Aldershot.

I have already contacted research@firepower.org.uk, but they were unable to help.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to find the name of the original owner?
blaby

Re: RARE relay

Postby Becky2016 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:59 pm

I googled the motto and it looks like RA and RE might be Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers. Could it be that whoever had that medal was in either Royal Artillery or Engineers?

Looks like some medals sold at auction made by F Phillips had the following description

Sports memorabilia; a collection of sporting medals, un-named, mainly for Army Inter- Company Sporting events, each medal detailed 'India' and including two bronze relay race medals, four white metal relay race medals, Bronze Inter-Company football medal, white metal inter-platoon football medal, two Inter-Company Athletic sports medals, bronze Platoon efficiency medal, bronze Inter Company hockey competition and two small bronzed medals (14), all cased, F. Phillips medallist, Aldershot, circa1930.
Becky2016

Postby blaby » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Thanks for the information Becky.
blaby

Postby peter kent » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:59 pm

QUO.FAS.ET.GLORIA.DUCUNT.

Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt is the regimental motto of the Royal Artillery.
peter kent

Return to General research queries