Moderator Control Panel ]

Amendments to 1939 register

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Amendments to 1939 register

Postby phsvm » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:50 pm

The 1939 register lists Beryl J Smith dob 29 July 1926 living at Clitherow Avenue, Ealing.

Written above her surname in green ink is the word ANDREWS, some numbers and letters and what looks like a date 18.1.76.

Further up the page Ethel Monger has the word BURTON written above her surname.

I thought initially this was an indication of married surnames but it doesn't appear to be.

I know there is a tradition for the Head of MI6 to use green ink but I can't imagine that he was going through the register and marking these individuals out as potential spies!

Can anyone enlighen me as to what these amendments mean?
phsvm

Re: Amendments to 1939 register

Postby peter kent » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 pm

They are married names - you can easily check with FreeBMD.

The register was used by the NHS and was maintained until about 1990 (but not necessarily consistently). I don't know of any guide to help to interpret the various manuscript notes.
Also see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help ... -register/
peter kent

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:48 pm

They could also signify name changes after divorce, cohabitation, or a change of name by deed poll (or just informally).
ksouthall

Postby phsvm » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I'd thought they were married names but when I checked on FreeBMD and FMP I couldn't find a marriage between Beryl and a Mr Andrews.

For anyone who is interested I have just found these 2 articles by Peter Calver of Lost Cousins which give a lot of background to the regsiter and how to get the most out of it.

http://1939register.info
https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters ... pecial.htm
phsvm

Postby Guy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:27 pm

phsvm wrote:The 1939 register lists Beryl J Smith dob 29 July 1926 living at Clitherow Avenue, Ealing.

Written above her surname in green ink is the word ANDREWS, some numbers and letters and what looks like a date 18.1.76.

Further up the page Ethel Monger has the word BURTON written above her surname.

I thought initially this was an indication of married surnames but it doesn't appear to be.

I know there is a tradition for the Head of MI6 to use green ink but I can't imagine that he was going through the register and marking these individuals out as potential spies!

Can anyone enlighen me as to what these amendments mean?

From the entries I have seen a name change on marriage is normally carried out in blue ink, a name change in the case of a minor when his/her mother re-marries is in green ink a correction of an error in red ink and some other changes made in black pencil but I don't know the implication of these.

The green and blue ink changes normally have a date of notification nearby in the same colour ink.

Note not all name changes after marriage are recorded I have an aunt who married in 1963 (many years before 1991 when the NHS finished updating the 1939) but her change of name was never recorded

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Return to General research queries