Moderator Control Panel ]

Mann Family in Canada

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mann Family in Canada

Postby juantuss » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:54 pm

I have been trying to track down details of the children born to Herbert John and Irene Beryl Violet Mann whilst resident in Canada in the 1950s and 1960s for some time without success and am seeking any advice or help in how or where I can obtain the details.

Herbert John Mann was the son of Arthur Allen Mann and Ellen Frances Mary Mann and was born on the 22nd January 1920. He married Irene Beryl Violet Hibberd on the 10th September 1949 in Petersfield, Hampshire and they had two children Carolyn Leslie (b1951) and Hazel M (b1954) both born in Petersfield.

The family then emigrated to Canada and I understand that they went on to have a further seven or eight children and it is these children that I am trying to trace details of as I have no record of their names, dates/places of birth or any other details. The only other information I have on Herbert is details on a headstone commemorating his death in 1978 which is situated at St. James Anglican Church, Carleton Place Cemetery, Lanark Co., Ontario. The headstone reads:-

Herbert J. Mann
(Vidamour)
1920 - 1978
His Wife
Irene B. V. Hibberd
1928 -
In Loving Memory

Can anyone help?
juantuss

Re: Mann Family in Canada

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:04 am

I lived in Carleton Place from 1984-2004, but I do not recall anyone by the name of Mann. I checked the online obituaries carried by the funeral home there but found no refeenes to Mann.
You could try contacting the local newspaper The Carleton Place Canadian - Almonte Gazette, try have a page on Facebook with an email link and phone number. They might have had an obituary for Herbert listing his children. You might also try contacting the local library, they might have the newspapers on microfilm and possibly the high school year books. The staff I knew when I lived there were very helpful.
I will also contact some people I know and ask them if they recall anyone by that name.
You mentioned the cemetery - it is likely the common Protestant cemetery that is some distance from town. The cemetery at St James Anglican was likely full by 1978.
DianaCanada

Postby woodchal » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:16 am

The Ottawa Journal Sept 5, 1978
Attachments
Herbert John Mann.jpg
Herbert John Mann.jpg (113.08 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
woodchal

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:20 am

Try Canada 411 website, the are two Manns listed there with initials, addresses, and phone numbers.

Read the obit - I lived in Black's Corners for nine years. It is a tiny place just outside of CP.
DianaCanada

Postby juantuss » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:30 pm

Diana and woodchal many thanks for your informative responses to my posting and your contributions are much appreciated.

woodchal, the obituary you found has been of great help in enabling me to identify the names of the additional children of Herbert and Irene and answer a lot of questions. I am slightly confused by the reference in the obituary to Herbert being "also survived by four brothers and two sisters" for as far as I am aware Herbert was the only child of Arthur and Ellen Mann. I suppose the newspaper was only relying on information provided to them.

Diana, it's interesting that you once lived at Black's Corners and that it is such a tiny place - I must check it out as a matter of curiosity. I appreciate your advice and tips on sources to explore to try to ascertain further information and I certainly intend to check them out. I would also thank you for checking out some records so far and your proposal to contact some people you know and look forward to hearing from you further should that prove successful.

Having now become aware of the names of the further children of Herbert and Irene I can now take this a step further and try to find their dates and places of birth. As I am resident in the United Kingdom I am not aware of how the Canadian Registration system works. Is it possible to check indexes for births registered in the 1950s and 1960s as it is over here in England?
juantuss

Postby woodchal » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:29 pm

I am also resident in the UK.

I suspect the obituary comment about being survived by 6 siblings for Herbert is most likely correct. As you say the newspaper was probably relying on information provided to them, but this is just not the sort of thing people would create, and as a genealogist you should not magic it away without strong evidence.

How sure are you of the ancestry that you already have?

I would strongly suggest that either you have the wrong man (Mann!) or there is more to the family than you currently know.

Do you have the right Herbert John Mann. I saw records for a man of the same name born in Canada in 1894, there are probably others! Could there be siblings of which you are unaware.

This might be a much bigger puzzle for you than finding the offspring!
woodchal

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:33 pm

juantuss wrote:Diana and woodchal many thanks for your informative responses to my posting and your contributions are much appreciated.

woodchal, the obituary you found has been of great help in enabling me to identify the names of the additional children of Herbert and Irene and answer a lot of questions. I am slightly confused by the reference in the obituary to Herbert being "also survived by four brothers and two sisters" for as far as I am aware Herbert was the only child of Arthur and Ellen Mann. I suppose the newspaper was only relying on information provided to them.

Diana, it's interesting that you once lived at Black's Corners and that it is such a tiny place - I must check it out as a matter of curiosity. I appreciate your advice and tips on sources to explore to try to ascertain further information and I certainly intend to check them out. I would also thank you for checking out some records so far and your proposal to contact some people you know and look forward to hearing from you further should that prove successful.

Having now become aware of the names of the further children of Herbert and Irene I can now take this a step further and try to find their dates and places of birth. As I am resident in the United Kingdom I am not aware of how the Canadian Registration system works. Is it possible to check indexes for births registered in the 1950s and 1960s as it is over here in England?

You're very welcome! I do know one of my kids went to school with an Adey, she is overseas right now but we have been texting so maybe I will ask if she remembers the girls' mother's name.
You would have to contact the county for the births of the children, there is no centralized Ontario index that covers the time period your Mann relatives were born in. Carleton Place is in Lanark County. You should be able to Google Lanark Country and find where you could write. You might have some luck contacting the Anglican church in Carleton Place, they probably have a website and might be willing to look up baptismal records for you, if the children were baptized there.
Also, there are message boards on line for genealogical research in Lanark County you could try. If any of the Manns are still living in the area, you are likely to find someone who at least knows one of them or of them.
I don't know if Black's Corners would appear on a map. It is part of the Township of Beckwith and only a mile or two from the town of Carleton Place. Years ago it was just a crossroads but since the 1960's a few subdivisions were built around there, the township hall is there, and in the mid-80's they even built an elementary school.
Good luck with your quest!
DianaCanada

Postby woodchal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:34 pm

I found this on ancestry.com. Note date of birth. Could this be your man?

Name: Herbert John Mann
Death Age: 69
Birth Date: 22 Jan 1920
Registration Date: Jul 1989
Registration district: Portsmouth
Inferred County: Hampshire
Volume: 20
Page: 680
woodchal

Postby DianaCanada » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:42 pm

I think juantuss does have the correct Herbert, as the oldest daughter Carolyn's birth has the mother's maiden name of Hibberd (Irene). Irene is mentioned in his Ottawa Citizen obit as being his widow and the eldest daughter is Carolyn. I might have missed something here, though, might be a good idea to go back and find out if Herbert son of Ellen did have all those siblings.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:53 pm

I checked the three Herbert J. Manns born around the time frame, all were born in 1920:
Herbert J. mother maiden name Evans, Portsmouth Mar 1920
Herbert J. mother Cullam, Lewisham Jun 1920
Herbert J. mother Neath, Wem district Dec 1920

I could not find an Ellen matching those maiden names marrying a Mann. It is possible that Ellen was a widow when she married Herbert's father so I would need to know her first marriage.

Just edited this to fix the surname to the correct Cullam which I had typed Cullum.
DianaCanada

Next

Return to General research queries