Moderator Control Panel ]

Mann Family in Canada

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Mann Family in Canada

Postby Lady McAdam » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:29 pm

Just notice the name and comments about the name Vidamour. I need some time to pull the tree together but I believe we are going to break down a few brick walls and perhaps change some history along the way.... Stay tuned....
Lady McAdam

Postby woodchal » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:11 pm

Sounds fascinating!
woodchal

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:26 pm

I am enthralled...I have even more connections with this story now...my children have ancestors from Abercorn/Sutton and Richford, and I used to visit the area often....I also taught at a HS near Billings Bridge! Am eagerly waiting for more coincidences :) (my maiden name was Hibbert, not Hibberd but pretty close).
Seriously, hope you can help juantuss find more clues to her fascinating puzzle.
DianaCanada

Postby Lady McAdam » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:26 pm

What are your connections to Abercorn / Sutton? Mine are the Ingalls family plus others.
Lady McAdam

Postby DianaCanada » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:35 pm

Lady McAdam wrote:What are your connections to Abercorn / Sutton? Mine are the Ingalls family plus others.

My kids descend from Aiken, Barnet, Miller, all Ulster Scots who left the Bradford/Newbury VT area and headed for Richford. Through the Millers they descend from Robert Rogers' sister, he was a Seven Years' War hero and his brother James very prominent Loyalist. The Millers and Barnets fought on the other side but many of them drifted into Quebec from Richford.
Haven't come across an Ingalls.
DianaCanada

Postby Lady McAdam » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:03 am

Aiken is a distant cousin for me on my mother's line but she has Evans on it as well. I have people I Know who are searching for Mills and Millers also Loyalist.

I found Return #515

Dec. 2 Eli Downes MANN to Catherine GRANT both of London by license. Wit: Moses Mann, Sarah A. Vanevery.

Link - http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ ... ndist4.htm

On this list they mean London, Ontario not England at this time it would be Upper Canada.

On the same document is also the following entry;

Oct. 7 John OLIVER, 82nd Regt., to Phebe Maria GRANT both of London by license. Wit: Allen and Ann Hibbert.

My lngalls line connects to the Oliver line....I just dont know if the above people are of my line and will need to investigate.

Also the minister of both marriges are performed by Rev. Ephraim Evans and I believe he is related to my dads adopted grandfather and was shocked to see this connection here.
Lady McAdam

Postby Lady McAdam » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:32 am

Just found this out too:

e: Samuel MANN, SR - West Sussex, England
By Kathy Rollheiser January 22, 2005 at 09:27:34
In reply to: Samuel MANN, SR - West Sussex, England
4/09/01
Hi Sandy
I am from the same line of Manns you are. My great great grandfather was Eli Downes Mann (I guess it's Downer!) His son was William Henry Mann, who married Mary Dancey in Ontario. They had William Beecher Mann, who married Gertrude Amy Mathews after moving out west to Moose Jaw, and then to Swift Current, where Beecher ran a men's "habadashery" (sp?)Men's clothing store. My mom was their daughter, Madeleine Victoria Mann.
I am really confused though- I found all the sibs in the LDS Library, born to a Samuel Mann and Ann Christmas! They were married Nov. 26 1805 in Petworth. You mentioned the Petworth committee- and the Christmases were all from Petworth. I would love to know what you know, and how we ended up with two different last names for Sam's wife? Any ideas?
Kathy
http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames ... mann/5259/

The Beecher connection does not suprise me and follows my theory I am trying too prove. I some how thing that Harriet Beecher Stowe is connected to the family. Stowe Vermont is not too far away from Abercorn Area. Then I found this tonight "Letter from Harriet Beecher Stowe to Horace Mann, 2 March 1852" https://www.masshist.org/database/10
Lady McAdam

Postby Lady McAdam » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:38 am

Lady McAdam

Previous

Return to General research queries