Moderator Control Panel ]

Mann Family in Canada

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Mann Family in Canada

Postby juantuss » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Diana and woodchal you might be confused by my latest posting but let me explain. I am currently away walking in the Yorkshire Dales and have very limited access to the internet. I have tried posting before but the system has rejected them but this time I have tried a test posting and it has worked. Your continued research efforts on my behalf is very much appreciated and I will digest all the information you have uncovered so far and post again as and when the opportunity arises.
juantuss

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:44 pm

I did contact my ex and his wife, who both taught school for many years in CP, but they could not remember any Manns.
Enjoy your stay in the Dales. You might run into the ghosts of some of my northern ancestors there!
DianaCanada

Postby juantuss » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:20 pm

Thanks for checking out the Manns further Diana. It seems they have disappeared off the face of the earth but I will take up the suggestions made by you for pursuing the information in your earlier posts once I get back home in the hope that someone will come up with something.

The week in the Dales has been great so far with fantastic scenery but very challenging walking. Just two more days and then I will have a full opportunity to digest all the information both you and woodchal have found on the Vilamours. It does look quite promising but I need to find out where it all fits in.

Whereabouts did your northern ancestors come from? Our base for the week is around the Malham area near Skipton in Yorkshire.
juantuss

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:42 pm

juantuss wrote:Thanks for checking out the Manns further Diana. It seems they have disappeared off the face of the earth but I will take up the suggestions made by you for pursuing the information in your earlier posts once I get back home in the hope that someone will come up with something.

The week in the Dales has been great so far with fantastic scenery but very challenging walking. Just two more days and then I will have a full opportunity to digest all the information both you and woodchal have found on the Vilamours. It does look quite promising but I need to find out where it all fits in.

Whereabouts did your northern ancestors come from? Our base for the week is around the Malham area near Skipton in Yorkshire.

Wish you success with organizing the information, I know a lot at once can be overwhelming. Just a thought - Carleton Place is really only a 20 minute drive west of the Ottawa suburbs so it could be that Mrs. Mann decided to pack up the kids and move to "the city" after her husband.

I do have ancestors from the Skipton area, from Craven, and also from Addingham. I don't think my Lancashire father was too pleased to hear he had so much Yorkshire ancestry!! I have a Quaker brick wall from Barnoldswick that Might post one of these days.
DianaCanada

Postby juantuss » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:41 pm

Thanks Diana another avenue to explore. I agree it is all a lot to consider but I am determined to clear it up in the end or at least get as close as I can.

What a coincidence that we are in an area where your ancestors came from. I know there was not a lot of love between Lancastrians and Yorkshire folk. Maybe one day you will get a chance to come over to research these ancestors and explore this beautiful part of the country.
juantuss

Postby juantuss » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:41 pm

Diana and woodchal just to tidy this one up I have contacted the various sources suggested by you both in your previous postings and based on their responses and checking addresses and telephone numbers on the Canada 411 site I am pleased to say that I have now established both telephone and e-mail contact with a few of the descendants of Herbert and Irene Mann so it all has a happy ending.

They have confirmed that Herbert John Mann was originally born as Herbert John Vidamour and was adopted by Arthur and Ellen Mann in 1922 so this verifies the information you have previously found in your searches.

Many thanks again for your advice and assistance without which I don't think I could have possibly got to this stage.
juantuss

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:33 am

juantuss wrote:Diana and woodchal just to tidy this one up I have contacted the various sources suggested by you both in your previous postings and based on their responses and checking addresses and telephone numbers on the Canada 411 site I am pleased to say that I have now established both telephone and e-mail contact with a few of the descendants of Herbert and Irene Mann so it all has a happy ending.

They have confirmed that Herbert John Mann was originally born as Herbert John Vidamour and was adopted by Arthur and Ellen Mann in 1922 so this verifies the information you have previously found in your searches.

Many thanks again for your advice and assistance without which I don't think I could have possibly got to this stage.

Glad to have helped - and happy to hear you are happy with the outcome!
DianaCanada

Postby woodchal » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:35 pm

I am very pleased that you moved your research on - even making contact with living people in Canada! It was a very interesting story and I enjoyed helping.

Don't forget that in my searches, I found references to the fact that Vidamour is a very ancient name in the Channel Islands and there may some more interesting genealogy.
woodchal

Postby juantuss » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Yes thanks woodchal. After I have completed exchanging information with my cousins regarding their Mann line I will then turn my attention towards the Vidamours in Guernsey. As you say there may well be some interesting revelations to be found there.
juantuss

Postby Lady McAdam » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:20 pm

HI,

I am working my way through all the posts on this topic as I only discovered it late last night.

I am very interested in this post as I have been looking for my fathers birth family and some of the last names in your thread are familiar to me.

I did not get a lot of opportunity to discuss his adoption with him, but I have a strong belief his adopted parents knew his birth family.

I asked my mother what she knew about my dad's adoption and the only thing she could remember was the last name Mann.

When the Ontario government sent his adoption records to me they accidently did not redact one name on it. The name was Kenneth Wallace Palmer. I have no idea if this was his official birth name or a combination of family names with his first name. I can confirm my father was born in April 1930 in Carleton Place and his parents were both Anglican and his father was a Electrician and his mother was a Domestic. Also, his father appears to have lived in Toronto and did not contest the paternity as he made payments for care.

The records stated that Dad was living with his adopted family from age 6 months and the family wanted to formalize the adoption as they were going to be moving.

Dad's adopted grandfather was a bible belt minister and the family moved around a lot. I have done extensive research on this line and I have numerous possible connections.

The last names in your post that stuck out to me at first glance are HIbbard and Knight.

What I can tell you is that some of families from Billing Bridge area are connected to the Abercorn / Sutton, Quebec and Richford, VT area families and some of these families are also connected to families in York County in Aurora, Newmarket and Markham Ontario and Manitoba.

My Dad had adopted cousins with the last name of Knight who lived in Springfield, Mass

My great grandfather also knew a methodist minister with last name Hibbard.

I am eager to find my dad's birth family as I believe he had a rich family history that has few hidden stories to tell and my goal is to prove my theories and document them for future generations.

I will continue to review the past posts to see if I can help any further.

I would love to see your full family tree, so I can help solve our mysteries.

Look forward to hearing from you,

JLE
Lady McAdam

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries