Moderator Control Panel ]

Mann Family in Canada

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Mann Family in Canada

Postby woodchal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:08 am

Ok I think I have made some progress, but I am not sure how it fits into to your story that you started with yet. I would say that without a doubt that this is the man on the headstone, but how does he fit into your story and how did Vidamour become Mann? I am not sure how you would find adoption papers in Canada - Diana?

I searched for a Herbert John Vidamour and found one, emigrating to Aylmer Canada from Guernsey with his father and mother (Abram 39 and Mary 38) and six siblings - Reginald, Olive, Stanley, Lloyd, Gladys, Randolph (4m 2f, as per cutting). I will now see if I can find his birth on Guernsey

His arrival information says that the family was going to live with his uncle, whose name I cannot read

Arrival Information:-

Name: Herbert J Vidamour
Estimated birth year: abt 1921
Birth Place: Guernsey, England
Date of Arrival: 10 Mar 1922
Port of Arrival: Saint John, New Brunswick
Port of Departure: Guernsey, Channel Islands
Ship Name: Corsican

Passanger List

Name: Herbert Vidamour
Departure Date: 24 Feb 1922
Port of Departure: Southampton, England
Destination Port: St John, Canada
Ship Name: Corsican
Search Ship Database: Search for the Corsican in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping line: Canadian Pacific Railway
Official Number: 124191
woodchal

Postby DianaCanada » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:10 am

Woodchal, that sounds intriguing! Do you know if it was Aylmer, Quebec or Aylmer, Ontario? Aylmer, Quebec is just across the river from Ottawa, ON and Aylmer, ON is in southern ON, about 45 minutes from where I live now. As Carleton Place is about a 20 minute drive to Ottawa's outskirts, I think the Quebec one might be more likely.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:18 am

DianaCanada wrote:Woodchal, that sounds intriguing! Do you know if it was Aylmer, Quebec or Aylmer, Ontario? Aylmer, Quebec is just across the river from Ottawa, ON and Aylmer, ON is in southern ON, about 45 minutes from where I live now. As Carleton Place is about a 20 minute drive to Ottawa's outskirts, I think the Quebec one might be more likely.

I might be wrong! Just checked for Vidamours in Canada, doing a general search on Ancestry, most are clustered in southern Ontario, with some in Elgin County where Aylmer is. Those appear on voters list from 1935 onwards.
DianaCanada

Postby woodchal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:23 am

It is actually Aylmer W, Ontario

I have looked at arrival forms for his siblings and managed to read the Uncles name as Mr W. Moore. I have looked at the siblings and they all carried on with the name Vidamour, so why did Herbert Change - adoption does seem a good possibility.

Also there are a lot of Vidamour names in Guernsey
Last edited by woodchal on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
woodchal

Postby DianaCanada » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:24 am

DianaCanada wrote:
DianaCanada wrote:Woodchal, that sounds intriguing! Do you know if it was Aylmer, Quebec or Aylmer, Ontario? Aylmer, Quebec is just across the river from Ottawa, ON and Aylmer, ON is in southern ON, about 45 minutes from where I live now. As Carleton Place is about a 20 minute drive to Ottawa's outskirts, I think the Quebec one might be more likely.

I might be wrong! Just checked for Vidamours in Canada, doing a general search on Ancestry, most are clustered in southern Ontario, with some in Elgin County where Aylmer is. Those appear on voters list from 1935 onwards.

Just found a death record for Mary Vidamour in Elgin County, Ontario, 1922, age 38. Born Guernsey. Have to go now, will post more later, if no one else does.
DianaCanada

Postby woodchal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:34 am

Yes found that now and have also found her arrival form. Mr W Moore was her brother. Wife's maiden name was also on Abram's arrival form when I found it!

So she arrived 10th March 1922 and died 30th May 1992!

That might explain why Herbert who was about 1 was adopted out
woodchal

Postby woodchal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:51 am

Abram seems to have got a Canadian Soldier homestead grant in 1928

Name: Abram Vidamour
Application Date: 28 Jun 1928
Homestead Place: Saskatchewan, Canada
Homestead Grant Number: 16435
Section: 32
Township: 50
Range: 15
Meridian: 2
woodchal

Postby DianaCanada » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:00 pm

woodchal wrote:Abram seems to have got a Canadian Soldier homestead grant in 1928

Name: Abram Vidamour
Application Date: 28 Jun 1928
Homestead Place: Saskatchewan, Canada
Homestead Grant Number: 16435
Section: 32
Township: 50
Range: 15
Meridian: 2

Abram is actually buried in Aylmer, Ontario: a photo of his headstone is online, he is indicated to be a soldier, 1883- 22 Mar 1953, Aylmer Cemetery, Section B.
I would contact the public library in Aylmer and see if they can help you, they might have a family history association and local newspapers from that time on microfilm. They might be willing to do a quick look for an obit for Mary who had died in 1922 and for Abram.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:03 pm

There is also a Reginald Vidamour buried in Aylmer Cemetery (1908-1980) and his wife Doris. I briefly read an online obit for his son, will try to find that again, I didn't know if the father mentioned (Reginald) was connected to Aylmer. The son had done some family history research and connected with his family in Guernsey!
I am busy this a.m. but will try to do some more sleuthing later.
DianaCanada

Postby juantuss » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:06 pm

Test
juantuss

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries