Moderator Control Panel ]

Where is Renifarna in Roscommon?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Where is Renifarna in Roscommon?

Postby Daisy Isabella » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:07 pm

I have a death certificate for a death registered in the district of Rooskey in 1869 in the registration area of Strokestown in the county of Roscommon and the place of death is 'Renifarna'. I also have some birth certificates for this place. I cannot find any trace of the place. Googling the name doesn't bring any results. Has anyone any idea of where the place is or has it changed its name?
Daisy Isabella

Re: Where is Renifarna in Roscommon?

Postby JMcK » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:23 pm

In 1901 census there are only 189 inhabitants of Roosky. How clear is the spelling? My inclination would be to suspect that it is the name of a large farm in the area. Is Gaelic likely to be involved?
JMcK

Postby Daisy Isabella » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:23 pm

The death certificate does not make a great deal of sense. It gives the following information; Date & Place of death: 10th December 1869, Renifarna. Name: Pat Reilly. Condition: Married. Age:60. Occupation: Farmer. C.O.D. Rheumatism, years, uncertificated, no medical attendant. Informant: John Reilly, 'X' his mark, Inmate, (occupier deceased), Renifarna. Registered: 20th December 1869.
The bizarre bit is the section with the informant. Inmate - of where? "Occupier deceased" - what on earth does that mean?
Edward Reilly married Anna Maria Sheill in 1877 and had their first child Mary Anne on the 5th Feb 1878 in Renifarna, the next child Michael 9th Nov 1879 in Knockhall, Ellen born 7th April 1882 in Renifarna, John born 5th Dec 1887 in Knockhall, Edward 28th Dec 1890 in Knockhall, James born 12th Feb 1892 Knockhall and Thomas born 9th April 1895 in Knockhall, so I guess Renifarna must be somewhere around Knockhall. My great-grandmother Margaret Reilly was born in 1865 in Knockhall to Patrick Reilly & Ellen (Helen) Walsh. There is a Pat Reilly in Knockhall in Griffiths Valuation, and the Tithe Applotment books as well as a newspaper report from 1834. I'm trying to establish the connection between Renifarna and Knockhall (if there is one). I think the death certificate of Pat Reilly in Renifarna is my great-great grandfather as in the 1870s Ellen Reilly nee Walsh is a widow in Falkirk with three children Thomas, James and Margaret. The 1901 Knockhall census has the above Edward as a widower. Many thanks for any response.
Daisy Isabella

Postby shanew147 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:27 pm

The place is sometimes listed as Renefarna or Rinnafarna and is a sub-townland, population centre or village and part of the townland of Knockhall - see OSI map (c1840)

References - Placename database (logainm.ie) : Knockhall & Rinnafarna
shanew147

Postby Daisy Isabella » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:08 pm

Thank you very much Shanew147 as the information you have given is very helpful. Much appreciated.
Daisy Isabella

Return to General research queries