Moderator Control Panel ]

George John Oliver missing after 1911

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: George John Oliver missing after 1911

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:20 pm

ianbee wrote:
DianaCanada wrote:Trying to find George John Oliver, born Lambeth, London in the September Q of 1896. He was the son of Joseph and Emma (Smith) Oliver. Joseph was my ancestor’s brother and I have a few generations back on the Oliver line

Do you know when his parents died? Are they alive in 1918/19, re electoral registers?
Did any of George's siblings emigrate?

If Joseph was the chap born Warbleton, Sussex, son of Stephen + Hannah
Then baptized at Warbleton, 18 February 1849. Father a Farmer.
Likely marriage at Herstmonceux, 13 August 1842
Stephen Carley Oliver, 40, Bachelor, Labourer, residence Bodle St. Green, father Benjamin Carley, Cordwainer
+
Hannah Hollands, 31, Spinster, residence Gardner Street, father George Hollands, Glazier

Can all be seen online
Ian

Ian, yes, I have this information. Started on my Oliver line years ago, my mother was an Oliver born in Heathfield, near Warbleton.
I am now tracing down the generations from Hannah Oliver, Stephen's mother, and two generations before her (eventually!). I am now just finishing up Stephen's children and putting everything in a narrative form.
I believe Joseph died in 1915 and Emma in 1939, a few months before the 1939 Register was taken. I have them on the "to send for" list of death certificates.
With a few exceptions, most of the descendants of Stephen and his brother (also the son of Benjamin Carley and Hannah Oliver - Ben the younger dropped the Oliver name and went by Carley; both boys were illegitimate) have been traceable, but the family dispersed from the Warbleton/Heathfield area for the most part, my direct line one of the few that stayed.
I will keep plugging away and might find George eventually, but he might just be one of those who cannot be found. If he was the informant when his mother died, that would be helpful.
DianaCanada

Postby ianbee » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:50 am

Since there is no sign of him later, I've looked at Soldiers Died in the Great War
Which has a possibility

Name: George Oliver
Birth Place: Camberwell
Residence: Camberwell
Death Date: 18 Aug 1915
Death Place: Gallipoli
Enlistment Place: London
Regiment: London Regiment
Battalion: 11th (County of London) Battalion (Finsbury Rifles)
Regimental Number: 1480
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Balkan Theatre

On looking at the Register of Soldiers' Effects, it names his mother Emma

Wondering if anybody else was claiming this chap, I put his date of death into ancestry's public member trees, and (for what it's worth) four say it is the son of Joseph Oliver and Emma Smith.

So it's something to look into, perhaps. Is there someone else that chap could be?
Ian
ianbee

Postby DianaCanada » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:24 pm

ianbee wrote:Since there is no sign of him later, I've looked at Soldiers Died in the Great War
Which has a possibility

Name: George Oliver
Birth Place: Camberwell
Residence: Camberwell
Death Date: 18 Aug 1915
Death Place: Gallipoli
Enlistment Place: London
Regiment: London Regiment
Battalion: 11th (County of London) Battalion (Finsbury Rifles)
Regimental Number: 1480
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Balkan Theatre

On looking at the Register of Soldiers' Effects, it names his mother Emma

Wondering if anybody else was claiming this chap, I put his date of death into ancestry's public member trees, and (for what it's worth) four say it is the son of Joseph Oliver and Emma Smith.

So it's something to look into, perhaps. Is there someone else that chap could be?
Ian

Thank you, Ian. I think this might be my guy. I am going to send for the birth certificate for George John born in Lambeth in 1896 and see if his birthdate matches the birth of the first WWI vet, who survived, you sent.
I believe it must be the son of my Joseph and Emma, hopefully something will come up to prove it beyond a doubt, or at least a reasonable doubt.
There is a death registered for a Joseph Oliver in 1915, the age is off a bit, but I think it must be him. If he died before George, the mention of just Emma in the Register of Soldiers' Effects would make sense. What an awful year for Emma, if indeed it is the same family.
DianaCanada

Postby MoVidger » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:11 pm

On Ancestry, there is a Lambeth baptism record for a George John Oliver:

Baptism date: 27 Sept 1896
Birth date: 15 July 1896
Parents: Joseph & Emma Oliver
Profession: Farrier
Abode: 4 Londerton (?) Road
MoVidger

Postby DianaCanada » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:53 pm

MoVidger wrote:On Ancestry, there is a Lambeth baptism record for a George John Oliver:

Baptism date: 27 Sept 1896
Birth date: 15 July 1896
Parents: Joseph & Emma Oliver
Profession: Farrier
Abode: 4 Londerton (?) Road

Thank you MoVidger! You have saved me paying for a certificate. This is definitely my George, Joseph was a blacksmith and they lived at 4 Cardenton Road in 1901, which was given as George's bp. Cardenton could easily look like Londerton.
DianaCanada

Previous

Return to General research queries