Moderator Control Panel ]

Information on GRO Marriage Certificates

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Information on GRO Marriage Certificates

Postby shetland » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:15 pm

Hello,

I am wondering what information will be on marriage certificates which is not shown on the entry in the parish register. For example the age is shown on the parish register is 'Full age' Is this likely to be repeated on the marriage certificate or should the actual age be shown. Also, is there any additional information on the GRO certificate. I am thinking of the 1840's if that makes a difference.
shetland

Re: Information on GRO Marriage Certificates

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Assuming that we're talking about England and Wales, in the post 1837 era, the certificates from the GRO, the local Registrar and the parish register should, all 3, be identical in every respect.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby shetland » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Many thanks for the reply. In which case there is no point in buying certificates if I already have the parish register entry from Ancestry,
shetland

Postby fisherman2313 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi

The GRO marriage certificates can suggest the approximate year of birth by stating how old the bride and groom were when they married. I have been really lucky and have never had a certificate with "Full" on yet. Also the marriage certificates state the Fathers names and the Fathers occupation. That is if the people were not illegitimate. The only time I have ever ordered the certificates is when I am stuck on who the people are. This includes more info as to who have married into the family by ordering the cert. I only do this when I have found the marriage record without any other info. As sometimes I only have only the names and no year of birth to help me find any other info out like the year of birth. The marriage records on ancestry sometimes never state who the father is on the marriage records. So I then order the certs. Then I know who the father of the bride or groom are. The certs I order then tells me some of the info I need to know, ie the approx year of birth by giving the age when they married to help me find the ever elusive birth record. So sometimes the GRO certs can be helpful. There are also two price ranges for the certificates as well. One being £9.25 and that takes upto 15 working days to be despatched to the home address and £23.50 which is the quicker service and that takes two days to be despatched to the home address. Incidently I never order the certs which are closer to 1837 as usually order the 1850s upwards so that is probably why I don't get "Full" on the certs.

Hope this helps and that you understand what I am getting at.
fisherman2313

Return to General research queries