Moderator Control Panel ]

Finding Documents for ancestor born in 1912

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Finding Documents for ancestor born in 1912

Postby jaykayell » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:11 pm

Try emailing the library nearest his home. I have done this several times and have always found them very willing to look up the local newspapers of the time. Not every one is available on line. They may have them on the premises as 1964 is not that long ago.
jaykayell

Postby TheViking » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:31 pm

Thanks again guys that is the guy i am looking for. And you may have found my fathers missing brother who we knew nothing about untill recently, maybe just me and some will disagree but i think the 100yr rule on census is really stupid it makes it so hard for amatures to do this family tree stuff. I will order hos death certificate now. And reserch more in his local area.
TheViking

Postby gemmalrf » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:34 am

Hi TheViking,

I'm a bit late to this post but thought I would reply anyway :-)

You can use the 1939 Register available via a subscription with Find My Past which acts as an alternative to the census and will help you to find out more about your recent ancestors. You should be able to find your grandparents on there before they were married as well as their parents. Unfortunately, the 1931 census was destroyed in a fire and there was no census taken in 1941 owing to the war. The 1921 census will be available in a few years time, while we have a bit of a wait ahead for the 1951 census!

I'd really recommend doing some further reading around family history as it will help to save you a lot of time searching for records that may not exist yet. It may also alert you to records that you didn't know existed and will help you build your family tree! I've only been doing this for a couple of years (so am still pretty new myself!) and am currently partway through a course which I started earlier this year. I've learned such a huge amount already, all things that would have helpful to know when I was first starting out. David Annal's "Easy Family History: The stress-free guide to starting your research" is a good introduction and his writing is really engaging (I like everything he writes!) You should be able to pick up a copy from your local library as well as other similar books.

Good luck with your research!
gemmalrf

Postby Sucher » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:10 pm

TheViking wrote:Wow you guys are amazing thank you so much that is the guy I am looking for :) like I stated before I know nothing about him. I wonder if I could find a picture as non are available in the family. Would I find these at his old work place ? The one thing I know is he was a bus driver.

Possibly the best way is to develop your research and find living relatives, I’m on a similar mission.

Sucher
Sucher

Postby TheViking » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:36 pm

thank you for all your help you have all been brilliant. I decied to take a step back for a couple of week then I could start fresh with all this research, I have children so they also kep me busy.

gammelrf i have taken your advice and orderd the book it should be with me soon i am also looking into family research to take me along the path.

you will all be intrested to know i have been able to contact a member of family who is still living. my farthers sister althrough very ill has been amazing with her help along with her daughter who has done all the technology part is sister is now in her 70s so she struggled abit but never mind she played an importatnt part.

anyway she has provided me with photos of her farther :) he was indeed a bus driver. he also served in the army i havent got around to searching for his records i am excited through. she has provided me with a clear photo of him in his uniform what can some of you tell me from the picture ?

From left to right is Eric my grandfarther with his wife elizibeth and uncle jack and his wife lilly (I didn't know of a uncle jack). jack also seems an intresting man but that is for another year.
Attachments
Eric (left) in his army unifrm with his wife Florence jack and his wife lilly.jpg
Eric (left) in his army unifrm with his wife Florence jack and his wife lilly.jpg (161.2 KiB) Viewed 716 times
TheViking

Postby trace » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Yorkshire Post & Leeds Intelligencer 14 Oct 1943
Quarter Sessions Decisions
The case of Eric Patrick Conway (30) taxi cab driver, accused of entering a house with intent, was dismissed.
trace

Postby TheViking » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:51 pm

Do we think this is him ? Here he is in his uniform I imagine this is what a bus driver would have looked like ?
Attachments
80C322EA-27C3-4EDE-BE13-F82D32C75758.jpeg
80C322EA-27C3-4EDE-BE13-F82D32C75758.jpeg (130.59 KiB) Viewed 624 times
TheViking

Previous

Return to General research queries