Moderator Control Panel ]

Brick Wall

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brick Wall

Postby Gen10ck@2502 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Robert Longhorn married Mary Isabella Knox in 1872 in Durham.Since then I can find no trace of him. In 1881 Mary is with her parents, and in 1891 she has re-married twice.Adam Pendelbury in 1882, then Peter Dodds in 1887. I have to assume Robert died but can't find a burial.Assuming I am following the correct line does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you
Gen10ck@2502

Re: Brick Wall

Postby ianbee » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:03 pm

Presuming he is the Robert Longhorn in Crook and Billy Row in 1861 and 1871
Likely birth registered March qtr 1852, Auckland
He was a 19 year old Miner in 1871

Given there weren't so many Robert Longhorn's about, a possibility in the 1880 US census? Boarding with the Dance family
Name: Robert Longhorn
Relationship: Other
Marital Status: Married
Birthplace: England
Father's Birthplace: England
Mother's Birthplace: England
Event Place: Putman, Fulton, Illinois, United States

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MXJJ-1XS

EDITED
There is a marriage indexed of a Robert Longhorn in Dubuque, Iowa, in 1886
Dubuque is pretty close to Putman, Fulton. That Robert was said to be have been born in Kendal.
However that chap is elsewhere in Illinois in the 1880 US census, a painter, still living with his parents
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MXJC-1PB

And he actually was a Langhorn! Birth registered in Kendal, June 1856. So he's out of the way.

If that is your Robert Longhorn in in Putman in 1880, perhaps the intention was for the rest of the family to follow on, but he died soon after?
ianbee

Postby Gen10ck@2502 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:52 pm

Hello thank you for your reply

Yes they are the family from Crook/Auckland.

I was beginning to think he had abandoned his family .Robert is shown as the father on his daughter Esther's birth cert., ( my g g'mother ) but on her marriage cert., no father is shown, presumably if he had died he would be shown, but as deceased. Also Mary is not shown as a widow in the 1881 census. So did he die or did Mary remarry in 1882 thinking he had?

Will have to do some more digging.
Thank again Genie
Gen10ck@2502

Postby Gen10ck@2502 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:24 pm

Hello

Have an update in my search for Robert Longhorn.
In the Rock Island Argus newspaper, Illinois on the 24th May 1881, is a report of a drowning on Sat. 21st May 1881. Robert Longhorn and George Point were rowing when their boat began leaking and they drowned before they could be rescued. The bodies were not recovered. Both men were married and it states that Robert's family are back in the old country. ( I presume they mean England)

Here is where I hit my wall again as I can't find a death cert., for Robert.

Would a death cert., have been issued if a body wasn't recovered?, presumably there were witnesses to the event as they have the names of the men.
How might the families have been informed ? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thank you Genie
Gen10ck@2502

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Genie7171 wrote:... Would a death cert., have been issued if a body wasn't recovered?, presumably there were witnesses to the event as they have the names of the men.
How might the families have been informed ? ...

Issuing of a death certificate without a body is, in general, fraught, not least because of the possibility of the guy turning up next week. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declared_death_in_absentia#United_States refers to the basic principles in the USA. Note in particular
A person can be declared legally dead after they are exposed to "imminent peril" and fail to return—as in a plane crash, ... In these cases courts generally assume the person was killed, even though the usual waiting time to declare someone dead has not elapsed

Note in particular the need to involve the courts. If this required any amount of work, my inner cynic would ask why anyone in the US would bother to go to the trouble?

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/How_to_Find_Illinois_Death_Records may help with locating the DC - but note that there's a lot of use of "may" and "most" in that section, so I'm not sure how comprehensive the records are, just from looking at that article. It's not even 100% clear to me that all Illinois counties issued DCs at this time.

As for informing the families, I suspect that someone who knew their addresses would need to write a letter but again, my inner cynic suspects that it wouldn't be a county / state employee. If they didn't have the addresses, then a newspaper announcement of the death with a "Please copy" note would be all that anyone can do.

It should be obvious that the above is, basically, my best guess on the matter.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Gen10ck@2502 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:44 pm

Thank you Adrian, not hopeful that your suggestions will bear fruit. Very difficult when no body is found and not even a US citizen.

Genie
Gen10ck@2502

Postby ianbee » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:02 pm

The article can be found here, for anyone who is interested.
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn ... nge&page=1

There's an index to Certificates of Death, Rock Island County
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=507663

But no Robert Longhorn
Ian
ianbee

Postby Gen10ck@2502 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:33 pm

Thank you Ian, I couldn't find anything either, but appreciate a fresh pair of eyes.

Genie
Gen10ck@2502

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:00 am

:-(

Looking at the map, I'd guess that "the river" is the Mississippi. In which case, there must have been every opportunity for someone to claim that the drowning took place in the Iowa half of the river if they wanted another excuse not to do anything.

My brain's not making sense when looking at the LDS Wiki about whether there are any useful Iowa death records. But if the body was recovered on the far side then Iowa might be a possibility. If they had any means of identifying the body, that is.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Gen10ck@2502 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:42 am

Hello again

I am so excited I can hardly type.
Going on the assumption that Adrian made about the body maybe drifting I checked the records for Iowa. No luck at first. But then I just searched for Robert, no surname but with the date of death, and there he is . Transcribed as Londhon ,but the correct event date and place of death.
Thank you so much Adrian
Gen10ck@2502

Next

Return to General research queries