Moderator Control Panel ]

Marriage & Children’s Birth Validity

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Marriage & Children’s Birth Validity

Postby GrahamWP » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:20 am

Hi Everyone
I am after some advice …

My Wife’s 2 x Great Grandfather was born illegitimately in a workhouse in 1862, both the registration document & Baptism have no father listed and he has his Mother’s Maiden name. Later in 1867 his Mother Married, I don’t think this is the Father as in the 1871 Census he was listed as no relation to the head ( it was left blank ) and still had his Mother’s Maiden name. Interestingly the Census Clerk put a dot next to him and his Mother to indicate he was her Son. When he got married he incorrectly put his surname down as his Step Fathers, I am not sure if he knew this was incorrect.

Does this make his Marriage invalid and what about his Children who had the wrong Surname.

Sorry about the Long Question
Graham
GrahamWP

Re: Marriage & Children’s Birth Validity

Postby AntonyM » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:50 am

He was entitled to use whatever surname he wanted to - the marriage is perfectly valid. A person's marriage (or death) should always be recorded in the name they "use or are known by" at the time.

A birth registration doesn't show any specific surname for a child anyway until 1969 - only the parents' surnames (under which the entry is indexed).
AntonyM

Postby GrahamWP » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:57 pm

Thank you Antony.
GrahamWP

Postby brunes08 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:55 pm

Just as a point of interest. My 3xgt grandfather was illegitimate. His mother married when he was five years old. He used either his mother's surname or his step-father's surname on different documents throughout his life. It was tricky tracing his life until I realised what he was doing.
brunes08

Return to General research queries