Moderator Control Panel ]

Deaths recorded before births..?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Deaths recorded before births..?

Postby Cachalot6972 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:32 am

I have two children, seemingly twins, born to Robert Allpress and Ann (nee Ray) with their deaths recorded before their births.

From the GRO online index:
ALLPRESS, JOSEPH [RAY] GRO Reference: 1849 M Quarter in ST IVES Volume 14 Page 245.
ALLPRESS, JOSEPH Age (0) GRO Reference: 1848 D Quarter in ST IVES Volume 14 Page 158.

ALLPRESS, MARTHA [RAY] GRO Reference: 1849 M Quarter in ST IVES Volume 14 Page 245.
ALLPRESS, MARTHA ( Age) 0 GRO Reference: 1848 D Quarter in ST IVES Volume 14 Page 158.

In the 1851 census, there are only one each of other Martha and Joseph Allpresses and they definitely belong to two other families.

I can guess at how it came about, but it is an interesting anomaly.
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Re: Deaths recorded before births..?

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:18 am

I had speculated that this could occur but never seen it confirmed. The target times (let's call them that) for registering deaths have, so far as I remember, without checking the Acts, always been tighter for deaths than births. So the Registrar might have prioritised the deaths and followed up the births later, by which time the quarter had ticked over into the next. Plus at certain stages in history, people wanted forms out of the death registration process to authorise the burial, which again would lead people to prioritise the death.

Nice one.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AntonyM » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:20 am

It could also be that the person registering the death was not a qualified informant for the purposes of a birth registration so that had to be done later. You would need to look at both certificates to work that out.

Or - that the parents found the process traumatic and chose to return later to deal with the birth.
I have seen a number of examples of this type of delay, and also quite a few infant death registrations where the birth was never registered at all.

In this situation today, the birth and death would normally be registered at the same time.
AntonyM

Postby ksouthall » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:34 am

Could the events have been recorded at the same time but the death indexes sent to the GRO quicker than the birth ones? If so, could that explain why the deaths appear in the previous quarter?

Are there local indexes and, if so, are the events registered in different quarters in those?

I have no idea if that would be possible, it's just an idea.
ksouthall

Postby Cachalot6972 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Many thanks for the replies folks. I live in France so any further delving into this isn't going to happen any time soon, but it is one of the things I intend to check when I next find myself anywhere near the Cambridge records office.
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:00 pm

You may already know this but just in case anyone reading this doesn't, a Record Office does not have access to civil registration certificates. The RO might have baptism and burial records that help.

(I have a vague idea that I've seen an archive of some sort that does hold the civil registration books - however, all access to those books must be through the same method as 'normal' certificates).

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries