Moderator Control Panel ]

Tracing Living Relatives

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Tracing Living Relatives

Postby Sucher » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Some years ago, I co-organised a family reunion which was very successful. Most people knew or knew of each other. I'd like to try again with another family branch but the challenge that it's highly likely that no one will know of the others' existence until I make contact. Having identified people with a lot of help from this forum, I'm now having difficulty locating them, having received two returned envelopes today.

I tried a site called People Tracer but although I think I found the right people, the data is out of date. I guess that similar commercial sites will all have the same electoral rolls, etc. Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

S
Sucher

Re: Tracing Living Relatives

Postby Sylcec » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:14 pm

Is it worth your while writing to the local newspapers in the areas in which you think these relatives live?
Sylcec

Tracing Living Relatives

Postby JMcKinnon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:21 pm

Are current electoral rolls held in libraries ( as they are here) ?
Cancel that...I see people tracer says they have them to 2017
Some towns have general Facebook pages. There might be a place you can post a notice

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JMcKinnon

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:49 pm

JMcKinnon wrote:Are current electoral rolls held in libraries...

So far as I know, current electoral rolls available publicly in the UK are always the edited version, which people can request to be removed from to avoid unsolicited mail. The full version is only to be used for electoral purposes by local authorities.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sucher » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Thank you all for your thoughts. I agree with Adrian, we opt out of the publication of our names on the Electoral Roll. The people I am trying to trace lived in the Greater London Area so not easy to decide which library or paper. I have tried Facebook, etc no joy there either. Anyhow, upwards and onwards, I'll get there.

Regards

S
Sucher

Postby junkers » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:58 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:
JMcKinnon wrote:Are current electoral rolls held in libraries...

So far as I know, current electoral rolls available publicly in the UK are always the edited version, which people can request to be removed from to avoid unsolicited mail. The full version is only to be used for electoral purposes by local authorities.

I am not sure what the situation is In Scotland but in England and Wales the current election rolls may include 'edited' and 'full' versions depending on whether people opted out of having their full details on the 'full' versions. The 'Full' versions are available to local authorities, police and enforcement services and credit reference agencies and both versions are usually subject to a 10-year restriction to the public.
junkers

Postby ianbee » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:41 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:the edited version, which people can request to be removed from to avoid unsolicited mail.

From family history researchers!

Apparently we do have the right to see the full version, but only under supervision.
Sucher, if you ever link your Duncans to those from Dorking in Surrey you can easily organize a family reunion with several members of this forum!
Ian
ianbee

Postby Sucher » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Interesting thought Ian, Dorking is just down the road to where I live. Sadly, I don’t think that there is a connection. My earliest Duncan ancestor was born in Yorkshire, he had five daughters and just one son whose line doesn’t have any males. I have three ladies in my sights aged around 85 if they’re still alive. Last nights burglary and a stolen car has put this project on the back burner for a while. Grrrr.

S
Sucher

Postby ksouthall » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:29 pm

ianbee wrote:Sucher, if you ever link your Duncans to those from Dorking in Surrey you can easily organize a family reunion with several members of this forum!
Ian

We've met before Ian. I bought some magazines from you a few years ago before I knew we were related...

* Edited to say it was nearly 7 years ago so you've probably forgotten.
Last edited by ksouthall on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

Postby AntonyM » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Anyone has the right to examine the full electoral register, but it may only be available at the relevant council office. You may need to make an appointment to see it and access may be supervised. You won't be allowed to make photocopies/take images although note-taking is allowed.
AntonyM

Next

Return to General research queries