Moderator Control Panel ]

Hannah Hassall married William Sconce Chester 1795

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Hannah Hassall married William Sconce Chester 1795

Postby watersidejim » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:48 am

The Sconce families were fishermen/women on the river Dee at Handbridge Chester in the 18th and 19th centuries.
The various branches of the family appeared to intermarry at times, leading to complex relationships.
Published family trees have Hannah Hassall married to a William Sconce baptised 9 July 1758. Most trees have him dying in 1842. However the burial record at St Mary's Handbridge for the William Sconce who died in 1842 notes an age of 69. Even allowing for the vagueness of dates in those days this does not fit. There is however a William Sconce baptised 29 Dec 1774 at St Bridget's Chester who does fit that death. This brings up my question: Is it possible that Hannah married on 19 Oct 1795 at St John's Chester, the 1774 William and not the 1758 William? William is described as a Skinner. I have just received Hannah's death cert and it says that Hannah was the wife of William a waterman who is not noted as dead, that could be either one.
The two Williams in question possibly have common ancestors: George Sconce who married Martha Moonsford in 1723. They had a son William b 1727 who married a Mary Williams who in turn had a William b 1758.

Find my Past has the baptism cert at St Mary's dated 19 Nov 1731 for a Thomas Sconce son of George Sconce and Martha. This could be a brother of the William b 1727. There is a George Sconce Baptised 1 Jan 1747 at St Bridget's Chester, father Thomas. He married Margaret Lawley on 12 Oct 1766. George & Margaret had a son William in 1774

On looking at the scan of the actual baptism cert for Thomas in 1731, the church record actually says "1731 Thomas, son of George Sconce of Clayton Lane, Labourer & Martha his wife, baptised 19th day of November"

So possibly Thomas's parents are a different George and Martha & not George Sconce a fishmonger and Martha Moonsford. I don't know where Clayton Lane is or was. It would be useful to find a death record for the William Sconce born in 1758, I cannot find one, but it is not October 1842.

I'd appreciate any comments. Watersidejim
watersidejim

Re: Hannah Hassall married William Sconce Chester 1795

Postby sdup26 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:14 pm

If Hannah's death cert says she was the wife of a William not noted as deceased, could he be the William Sconce, fisherman, born c 1776, living alone in Greenway St, St Mary on the Hill, Chester, in 1841? In the same street, in different households, are George Sconce, a sawyer, and family, William Sconce, fisherman, and family (both born c 1800) and George Sconce, fisherman, born c 1771.

Clayton Lane (off Duke Street) was in the Parish of St Olave.
sdup26

Postby watersidejim » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Thank you sdup.
Agree that the William Sconce age about 65 in Greenway St is most probably the one born in 1774 as his wife Hannah died in Greenway St in 1840. The William Sconce b c1800 with wife Catherine & five children is probably one of the five children born to Hannah Hassall and William Sconce (whichever one!)
Greenway St (Where my Doctor's surgery is now) is only about 150m long and must have been very crowded 200 years ago so presumably the occupants got to know each other pretty well! Another of Hannah & William's children Ann b 1796 married a Thomas Buckley in 1816. They and other Buckleys are listed there in 1841 along with Greatbanks. George another of Hannah and William's children married a Mary Greatbanks in 1814.
Thanks for the info about Clayton Lane, it was just across the river from Greenway St so no doubt the occupants intermingled!
watersidejim

Postby sdup26 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 am

Leaving aside the published family trees, which, especially if they're on ancestry, should be taken with a lump of Cheshire salt, all you know for sure is that Hannah Hassell married William Sconce in 1795. No ages are given on the marriage record. Children appear to have followed from about 1796. William was a skinner on marriage, and a waterman on Hannah's death record, but people often did change occupations through the years.

The 'problem' seems to be that the William who died in 1842 aged 69, was born c 1773, which fits with the William on the 1841 census, but not with the published trees. Hannah died in 1840, also aged about 69 (born c 1771). Both deaths were in Gt Boughton, the registration area that covers St Mary on the Hill. Assuming this Hannah was William's wife, it would seem that both were about the same age, rather than that William was bpt 1758, and Hannah about 1771.

What evidence do the published tree owners give for William's baptism? And that of Hannah? That is, proper evidence. Does it fit with what you know about their parents? And even if the parents' names fit, are the dates also right? For example, when do the trees say the parents married in order to produce Hannah and William?...and so on.
sdup26

Postby watersidejim » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks again sdup
Been away a few days hence delay.
I agree your comments.
Some Ancestry Trees include an image of the baptism record of the William Sconce born in 1758, so no doubt he did exist.
However the same trees have a death/burial in 1842 but fail to acknowledge that an age of 69 does not fit with birth. We also have the 1841 census age of 65.
When did the William born about 1758 die? There are several possibilities between 1758 and 1841 listed on Family Search, but except for children the ages are not given. No definite record.
So all in all I believe that the William Sconce born 1774 is the one who married Hannah in 1795
Thanks for your interest
watersidejim

Return to General research queries