Moderator Control Panel ]

Clayton Irish Ancestors

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Clayton Irish Ancestors

Postby Maddyco » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:27 pm

Does anyone have a connection to the family name Clayton, connected to County Galway and, in particular, the town of Loughrea?
According to the 1881 & 1891 census, my great great grandfather John Clayton was born in Loughrea, Ireland c1838. I just don't know where to start with tracing him or his family in Ireland. Thanks, in advance, for any help or advice.
Maddyco

Re: Clayton Irish Ancestors

Postby shanew147 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:57 am

Griffith's Valuation, dated 1855 for this area,shows about 7 Clayton properties in Co. Galway plus a few in the city - none specifically in Loughrea civil parish, a search of slightly later civil birth records between 1864 and 1874 shows a small number of Clayton records around the county but again none in Loughrea. Did John marry in England ? do you have the name and occupation of his father ?

Since John birth would have been well before the start of civil birth records a search of Church Baptism records would be required - do you know what denomination your Clayton family were ?
shanew147

Re: Clayton Irish Ancestors

Postby Maddyco » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:13 pm

Hello
A recent discovery confirmed that John was Catholic. He married Sarah Hutton (born in West Derby) in a Catholic chapel in London. The certificate says his father was Thomas Clayton. Occupation, Gentleman (highly unlikely).
I was in Loughrea last month but trying to trace ancestors is a bit of a "needle in a haystack" job!
Regards

Sent from my mobile using the WDYTYA forum
Maddyco

Return to General research queries