Moderator Control Panel ]

Noon and Bladen ancestors

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Noon and Bladen ancestors

Postby Christine McPhie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:33 pm

My husband’s great-great-grandmother was Mary Ellen Noon, a Ladysmaid, who married William McDonald in 1877 in Ardgour (Scotland). Mary Ellen was born in Preston in 1859 to James Noon, a Butler (bc 1826) and Eliza Bladen (b c 1835).  Eliza’s surname is also recorded as Blayden, Blatel, Blatil and Pladen.
In the 1861 census, James, Eliza and Mary were living in Scotland and a son - George de la Poer Beresford Noon - was born shortly after this (the family appear to have a connection to the Beresfords, linking back to Ballachulish in Ardgour). The Scottish birth certificate records their marriage on 3 June 1857 in Cirencester, England.  However, I have not found any record of this marriage, or any other likely wedding for James and Eliza for that matter.
James and Eliza had another child, William Bladen Noon born in Hatherton, Staffordshire, on 16 November 1864 and baptised at St Peters Church, Wolverhampton.
In the 1871 census Mary Ellen, George and William were living in Hatherton with Hannah Warburton, a Schoolmistress. However James and Eliza disappear from the census and death records.
I have traced the three children but, despite the names being relatively uncommon, cannot find any further information about James and Eliza.
An Eliza Bladen was baptised at St Peters Wolverhampton on 22 December 1835, daughter of George and Sarah.  Without any other information, it is impossible to confirm if she is the correct one.  However, I think there must be some connection to St Peters as William was baptised in there, over 50 miles from where his parents were living when he was born.
I am not very familiar with the English records and wonder if I am missing something obvious!

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Christine McPhie

Re: Noon and Bladen ancestors

Postby KayFarndon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:13 am

I to cannot find this marriage and feel it would be worth contacting the Gloucestershire Family History Society which should cover Cirencester and ask if they can look at the parish records for you to check. I am sure they will have researchers who undertake requests, although you will probably have to pay for the service.

There is a site called Dusty Docs, which may be helpful, as some parish records are listed. So sorry I have not time to look for you at the moment.
KayFarndon

Return to General research queries