Moderator Control Panel ]

Christopher WALKER Birth

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Christopher WALKER Birth

Postby Jonathan Walker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:59 pm

BRICK WALL
I'm stuck a bit here & I wonder if you can help at all. I am a new member & hoped to find help to find a Birth Certificate as proof of my grandfathers' birth as, according to my Ancestry research, Christopher WALKER was born on 10 November 1868 in Foster, Luzerne, Pennsylvania, USA but I cannot seem to trace the actual certificate or proof of his birth?!

I was told by a more experienced Ancestry member that Pennsylvania did not require birth, death or marriage certificates until 1906 & to try contacting the Luzerne County Historical Society. I have tried to contact them but get no response?!

I am hoping that you may be able to advise me on my best course of action please? If no Birth certificate, what about proof of baptism?!

Thank you for reading this message & I hope to hear how best I can proceed.

Jonathan Walker
UK
Last edited by Jonathan Walker on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Walker

Re: Christopher WALKER

Postby MoVidger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Jonathan - I don't wish to dampen your hopes, but I think it may be a struggle to locate your grandfather's 1868 birth/baptism record, if one actually exists. I have 19th-century ancestors born in Luzerne County, as well, and I don't expect to find any birth records/baptisms for them.

In any case, you can refer to this link for further information:

http://www.phmc.pa.gov/Archives/Researc ... stics.aspx

"Prior to 1906, Pennsylvania births and deaths were recorded only sporadically by the counties and some cities such as Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Genealogists must rely on county records or nongovernmental sources such as church registers, gravestone inscriptions and newspapers to obtain data for this earlier period".

You might already know this, but there is a Christopher Walker (age 1) who appears in the 1870 US census for Foster Township, Luzerne County. Christopher's birthplace is listed as Pennsylvania. Parents are Christopher & Frances Walker, both born in England. Father is a coal miner.

All the best with your search!
MoVidger

Re: Christopher WALKER

Postby Jonathan Walker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks for the info but unfortunately nothing came to light via this archives outlet!

Yes, found mention in 1870 US Census though.

Really don't know where to go from here - do you know of any American researchers who might take this on for a fee?
Jonathan Walker

Re: Christopher WALKER Birth

Postby MoVidger » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:16 pm

I am happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think you will turn up a Pennsylvania birth record for your grandfather. So I would think twice about hiring a researcher. Was there a particular reason why you want to have a birth/baptism record for him, taking into consideration you already know his birth date and birthplace?

My father's 19th-century ancestors were from upstate New York via Somerset. I would love to see birth records for this family, but I know they don't exist.

As regards BMD records for the USA, I don't usually see online records until post-1900, depending on the state and city. Also, I rely heavily on online newspaper archives (e.g. Newspapers.com) Several articles, dated c1905, detailed how two descendants from my NY family died separately in tragic incidents. So those articles were as good as a "death certificate(s)" for me.
MoVidger

Postby Jonathan Walker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:58 pm

Ah OK - well I would like to get proof of birth or baptism - maybe church records?! Also, I want to find out more about his father etc. down the line - I have some info but not much. Christopher's father Christopher died in 1870 somewhere in USA probably Pennsylvania so I'm just trying to get his Death Certificate too but no joy so far!

Maybe there might be records via the coal industry as all were miners back in the day, emigrated from South Shields - I'd love to have a more complete picture which is why I thought to get someone to research it for me as I cannot seem to break the brick wall!!

Thanks for your advice though.

Jonathan
Jonathan Walker

Postby MoVidger » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:58 pm

As of 1881, there were no churches, large-scale settlements, or a post office in Foster Township. So a church baptism record for your grandfather probably won't exist.

Unless one's US relative had a 19th-century BMD event in one of the major cities, it will be nigh on impossible to obtain their vital records. Even in areas with early registration laws, enforcement was haphazard, particularly in rural and frontier areas.

Best to check online newspaper archives. A word to the wise: obits tend to be listed with surname first. So avoid doing searches like "John Smith" when searching for obits. Try Smith, John for best results.
MoVidger

Return to General research queries