Moderator Control Panel ]

John Rea and Mary Jane Shannon (Ireland)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

John Rea and Mary Jane Shannon (Ireland)

Postby jmackaNZ » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi all,
I have been at a brick wall with this line of my family tree for many years. Any information would be greatly received and appreciated.
Below are the small amount details I have found.

John Rea
No birth information.
Died on the 2nd of Jun 1883 in Drumalig, Saintfield, County Down, Ireland - source was the Ireland, Calendar of Wills and Administrations

John Rea and Mary Jane Shannon married on the 15th of Jan 1840 (John Rea from Castlenavan, Loughinisland, County Down, Ireland and Mary Jane daughter of John Shannon of Drumalig, Saintfield, County Down, Ireland) - source The Belfast Newsletter

Mary Jane Shannon
No birth or death information. Possibly still alive at the time of her husband's death as she is mentioned in the will.
Mary's Father was named John Shannon who died on the 4th of Aug 1858 in Drumalig, Saintfield, County Down, Ireland.

John and Mary Jane had quite a few children including a son named John, who immigrated to New Zealand before 1875. This is my direct line.

Thank you for reading,
James Mackenzie
jmackaNZ

Re: John Rea and Mary Jane Shannon (Ireland)

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:38 pm

Irish genealogy has massive holes in it because of the 1922 fire that destroyed the contents of the Irish Public Records Office in Dublin. Even though County Down is in Northern Ireland, the censuses of all Ireland were in one place (Dublin) while some 2/3 of records of the Church of Ireland were destroyed in the same fire. While Roman Catholic records were not touched by the same fire, they'd started from a much weaker position, with late starts in many parishes plus a general failure to institute a national search for the registers.

Or, roughly translated - it's potentially very difficult.

One essential piece of information you need - what denomination(s) are we talking about? That's because the procedures for Roman Catholic and for (Protestant) Church of Ireland are quite different - and I've no idea how it works for the (Protestant) Presbyterians.

There are a number of possible approaches - I have found newspapers very useful but you need to be a certain class of citizen to be mentioned! The Irish newspapers on FindMyPast are a potential goldmine but, again, you need to know a bit to get started - otherwise how do you tell your John Rea and Mary Jane Shannon from all the others of that name?

I would suggest that you start by having a look at http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Two possible death registrations for Mary Jane in Lisburn RD after the death of John in 1883
One in 1887 (age 75), one in 1891 (age 71)
We hope it's the latter because we can see the certificate on irishgenealogy.ie (when are they going to get the rest of those deaths and marriages on there?)

Indeed, a newspaper article in January 1891 mentions Mrs. Rea’s farmyard at Drumalig. A hopeful sign?
District Saintfield
Died 26 October 1891 Drumalig
Mary Jane Rea
Female
Widow
71 years
Widow of a Farmer
(I'll leave cause of death out)
Informant Agnes Gibson Daughter Present at the Death Drumalig

See it here
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... search.jsp
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:28 pm

ianbee wrote:Informant Agnes Gibson Daughter

Could be
Name: Agnes Rea
Christening Date: 24 June 1862
Christening Place: Presbyterian, Killaney Parish, Down, Ireland
Father's Name: John Rea
Mother's Name: Mary Jane Shannon
Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881

Agnes Rea, father John Rea, Farmer, married Thomas Clugston Gibson, also a Farmer, 23 March 1883 in Belfast (presbyterian)
Residence for both was Drumalig, Parish of Saintfield
ianbee

Return to General research queries