Moderator Control Panel ]

Schooling for Vintners' Company Children

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Schooling for Vintners' Company Children

Postby GELGreenland » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:32 pm

My ancestor was a member of the Worshipful Company of Vintners from 1790 through to about 1841 (his death). He lived in Stepney/Hackney/MEOT London during these years. Three sons were born to him in the late 1790's two of whom progressed to being members of the same Company when mature enough to do so. Where might these sons have been educated based on the father's location?
GELGreenland

Re: Schooling for Vintners' Company Children

Postby Rosemary Collins » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:06 am

I've moved this topic to 'General research queries'.
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Postby cergenealogy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:31 pm

The Vintners' Company have a website which includes info on two schools which they support in Stepney to the present day - http://www.vintnershall.co.uk/?page=schol_bursaries
It may be worth finding out something about the history of the two schools mentioned to see if you can link to your family.
cergenealogy

Postby GELGreenland » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:14 am

That is so helpful Cergenealogy. It is interesting to note that this ancestor had two families due to the death of his first wife. Children from the first marriage were baptised at St Olave, Hart Street and St Botolphs, Bishopsgate but all the children of his second marriage were baptised in St Dunstan's mentioned in this article. This could be a good lead for me. Thanks so much.
Greenland.
GELGreenland

Return to General research queries