Moderator Control Panel ]

Leslie Chambers b1913

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Leslie Chambers b1913

Postby blaby » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:29 pm

I have been unable to find any certifiable information on my Great Uncle Leslie Chamber. He was born Oct 1913 in Stanley Co. Durham. His father was John Lyons Chambers (1871-1961) and his mother was Jane, nee Daglish (1870-1930). The last known sighting was about 1934 in Stanley. He knocked on my grandparent's door and asked for a bed for the night for himself and his wife, whom he claimed to have recently married at Gretna Green. The latter was probably untrue, as he had a reputation to make things up as he went along.
blaby

Re: Leslie Chambers b1913

Postby ianbee » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Do you have his exact date of birth? Where does October come from?
Birth, Dec qtr 1913 Lanchester 10a 616
Chambers, Leslie
mother Daglish

If he lived past 1 April 1969, when dates of birth began to be recorded on death certificates in England and Wales, one possibility is
March 1981 Kingston upon Thames 13 2011
Chambers, Leslie
d-o-b 4 Sept 1913

He may be on the 1939 Register in Esher U.D., with Minnie Chambers, born 1911, and a possible daughter.
Likely marriage
Sep 1935 Croydon 2a 2006
Chambers, Leslie
Kennaway, Minnie

What may be interesting is that I can't see a birth for Minnie in England, but there is one in Scotland
Minnie Kennaway, birth registration in 1911 in Selkirk R.D.
Possibly no marriage for that lady on ScotlandsPeople

And is there a death of Minnie Chambers with right birth date in England? Not sure about that.
There is a death registration on ScotlandsPeople, in 1993, in Hawick, of a Minnie Chambers/Minnie Kennaway. Age 82.
Could she have gone back to Scotland after her husband died?

I don't know if this is your Leslie, it's intriguing with the "Gretna Green" reference. Perhaps others will throw in some more ideas for you.
Ian
ianbee

Postby blaby » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Many thanks for your reply.

I worked from FreeBMD and came up with the reference that you quoted. I accepted this data as I know that the family were living in Oxhill, Stanley and that (anecdotally) the birth was around 1913. This is the year that his elder sister was aged 16 and due to go to Consett Technical Colledge for teacher training. This was cancelled so that she could stay at home and help her mother after the birth of Leslie. I will get a copy of the birth certificate to confirm this and find the exact date of birth.

I'll look into the hints that you have given me and see what I can find.

I've also got another potential lead to chase-up. When John Lyons Chambers died, his estate was divided equally between his four children (from a letter received by my grandmother). I have tried to find out if Leslie was found as a result of this. The solicitors (in Hexham) say that they sent the records to Woodhorn. They sent then to National Archives and I'm still trying to find if the have them.
blaby

Postby junkers » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:51 pm

If the records were sent to The National Archives I am sure they would have said (politely) where they should be sent but TNA would not be able to accept them.
junkers

Postby Sylcec » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:31 pm

John Lyons Chambers died 8 March 1961; administration of his estate was granted to someone of the same name who was a Milk Marketing Board Inspector. The estate only amounted to 326-0-03. Use of the word "administration" as against probate suggests that JLC did not leave a will.
Sylcec

Postby blaby » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Thank you both for the additional information.
blaby

Return to General research queries