Moderator Control Panel ]

Hadleigh Loyal Volunteers abt. 1810

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Hadleigh Loyal Volunteers abt. 1810

Postby energizerdel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:24 am

Apparently Patty was a variant of Matty, a diminutive of the name Martha.
So, the likely baptism for her is at Harwich - Martha Bryant, 11 October 1771, parents Benjamin + Martha.
No sign of a burial, or an alternative marriage for said person in Harwich. Only the Patty marriage in 1795.

To me, at the moment, it is looking quite likely that the husband of Martha/Patty, John Campion, was the chap from Ramsey.
Ian
*Burial at St Nicholas, 14 January 1798, of a Martha Campion (NBI)[/quote]

I had presumed that daughter Martha was called after her mother. The Martha Bryant b. 1771 is extremely likely and possibly the first breakthrough in many years - you have no idea how much that means to me! Can you tell me where you found the record for her?
energizerdel

Postby ianbee » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 am

Hi
It's been transcribed on FreeReg
https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Coverage of Essex has been improving lately, with excellent work from a lady who also puts her transcriptions on her own website
http://essexandsuffolksurnames.co.uk/pa ... ons/essex/
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:29 am

There is that burial I mentioned - from the National Burial Index - of a Martha Campion in St Nicholas just after the baptism. So, if that was the daughter of John and "Patty", they must have had another one (if you have a picture of two)

There is a will of a John Campion of Ramsey, Blacksmith, proved 1833. So I am assuming he is the chap buried there 2nd March 1832, age 40.
Which makes him too young. Still, I agree, at the moment we can't be sure where exactly John was from, or even if that Colchester death is him. And what happened to his wife?

Have you been on SEAX, the Essex Archives website? There you find (unindexed) images of the parish registers. It does require a sub though.
Ian
ianbee

Postby energizerdel » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:22 am

ianbee wrote:There is that burial I mentioned - from the National Burial Index - of a Martha Campion in St Nicholas just after the baptism. So, if that was the daughter of John and "Patty", they must have had another one (if you have a picture of two)

There is a will of a John Campion of Ramsey, Blacksmith, proved 1833. So I am assuming he is the chap buried there 2nd March 1832, age 40.
Which makes him too young. Still, I agree, at the moment we can't be sure where exactly John was from, or even if that Colchester death is him. And what happened to his wife?

Have you been on SEAX, the Essex Archives website? There you find (unindexed) images of the parish registers. It does require a sub though.
Ian

Can't thank you enough for all the help. Yes, there are definitely two miniatures of the two girls. The John Campion from Ramsey definitely has quite a different signature from our one, so I know it's not him. I had paid for a researcher a couple of years ago, but the Ramsey family was all she came up. I have often wondered if John's name is actually George or George John for the reason being that on the birth of his son, his name was put as George and then crossed out and put John (but it could have just been a mistake), also his son's marriage was witnessed by a George Campion, however it could have also been a cousin or uncle.

Unfortunately I haven't been on the SEAX website. I had a feeling I couldn't get a sub, but I will have another look at it. Thank you.
energizerdel

Hadleigh Loyal Volunteers abt. 1810

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:21 am

I'm puzzled by your comment about why events took place in Essex. Hadleigh IS in Essex, near Canvey Island! Perhaps you're thinking of a diferent Hadleigh

Sorry this duplicated a previous answer, but I hadn't realised anyone had replied, they weren't shown on my App, without scrolling down :(

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby ianbee » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Here he is! Your man!
Ipswich Journal, 23 August 1800
Attachments
Ipswich Journal 23 August 1800.JPG
Ipswich Journal 23 August 1800.JPG (65.29 KiB) Viewed 241 times
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Ipswich Journal, 9 November 1811
In addition to the Journal (and the Bury Post) there are one or two mentions of him in a paper I don't have access to at the moment
Ian
Attachments
Ipswich Journal 9 November 1811.JPG
Ipswich Journal 9 November 1811.JPG (257.44 KiB) Viewed 233 times
ianbee

Postby energizerdel » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:36 am

ianbee wrote:Here he is! Your man!
Ipswich Journal, 23 August 1800

Thank you so much Ian. I have read about this John Campion but wasn't sure whether or not it was him. I guess I've been looking for so long. I think I may have kept some of the newspaper clippings when I was looking at it. I've just found another mention that says that the military often met at the Three Cups Inn which William Ralton had. I'm just wondering if there is a will, I vaguely remember looking for one before...

Thank you so much.
energizerdel

Previous

Return to Military help