Moderator Control Panel ]

Hadleigh Loyal Volunteers abt. 1810

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Hadleigh Loyal Volunteers abt. 1810

Postby ianbee » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:32 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:Duplicated forums do you think?

Well they do say there is nothing original on Forces War Records, only copies!
Ian
ianbee

Postby energizerdel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:05 am

AdrianB38 wrote:I meant outside the WDYTYA Forum - for instance on http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk where you posted the picture, according to Mr Google - I was looking for any help I could find for myself!

Apologies though - I misinterpreted the FWR forum as another - the one you really must try, the one where the Napoleonic era experts hang out, is http://www.napoleonicwarsforum.com/ - though I can't speak from experience as it's not one I've used myself.

The other possibility is http://www.rootschat.com/forum/armed-forces/ - but that's more general.

I just had a quick glance at the napoleonicwarsforum, searched on militia and found a thread discussing precise types of sword, so if you can get an image of the sword, there's something else for interpretation!

Thanks Adrian, will have a look. I believe the rootschat is about to finish soon, from an email I received last week, but will definitely try the other one. I had done that post such a long time ago, I had hoped someone new might know something. A family member in England has the sword, and I do have photos of it. Thanks for all the help.
energizerdel

Postby energizerdel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:14 am

According to FreeReg the marriage of John Campion and Patty Bryant in Harwich in 1795 was by licence.
I haven't found any sign of anything on that though, either in Essex, or in the Canterbury records.
You can look through some surviving marriage allegations for the Archdeaconry of Colchester for the period here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=279372

George Bryant Campion's marriage in London in 1821 was witnessed by another George Campion?
Just about the only reference I can find anywhere to any Patty Campion is a Death Duty Registers Index entry in 1811. Which puts that person in Bedford? Looks like it is a PCC administration. No idea who it was.
Ian[/quote]

Thanks, I've got the records, but will have a look at the link you sent. I believe at least one of John & Patty's daughters was born in Colchester and a book was published some time later with son G.B. Campion's paintings/engravings in it and it says that he was "G.B.Campion late of Ipswich", but only census records put him in London and Woolwich areas, so he may have been brought up in Ipswich. I had also seen the record for the Patty Campion in Bedford, but I was told it was going to cost me 85 pounds to get someone to look for me (which is almost triple the NZ$ and I just couldn't afford it at the time). I have wondered many a time if John's name was actually George as on a birth record for G.B.Campion it had George and then had a line put through it and then John was written in. But there is a George Campion that was living close to G.B.Campion and family that I have wondered if he was related but just can't find any links to them. They seem to be elusive.
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
energizerdel

Postby ianbee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:48 am

Well, I've found the marriage allegation. It's not really of any help though.
They went to the Diocese of London Consistory Court
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=301805

And either the LDS did not film the bonds, or they are lost. Don't know which. They also only had allegations for the Archdeaconry of Colchester.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:18 am

The dates quoted by MrsPoppy, 1797-1814, are for the Volunteers subseries in WO13
The actual dates for Hadleigh records seem to be 1803-1812
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... r/C7243996
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:40 am

Have you investigated the Campions of Ramsey, just outside Harwich?
John Campion, baptized 10 August 1771, parents George and Lucy (who married same year)
Sibling George was bap 15 June 1773, followed by Lucy (died as infant), then Samuel, a second Lucy, finally (I think) Mary Ann.
George Campion was buried Ramsey, 20 September 1791
And widowed Lucy Campion married Stephen Driver in 1794
Info from FreeReg.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 am

energizerdel wrote:I believe at least one of John & Patty's daughters was born in Colchester

Who were their daughters?

There's a John Campion burial at St Peter Colchester, 8 February 1828
Abode Maidenburgh Street
Age 56 (which, incidentally, could tie in with the Ramsey baptism)
Image of the BT is here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=490113

Of course we don't know that either the baptism or the burial record is actually of your John.
More a case of throwing things in, seeing if they might lead anywhere. And there is still the Patty problem.
Can't see anything at all in Ipswich.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:45 am

ianbee wrote:followed by Lucy (died as infant), then Samuel, a second Lucy, finally (I think) Mary Ann.

We are going to have to add Edward, apparently baptized as Camplin, 29 April 1781

ianbee wrote:Who were their daughters?

From another old query elsewhere by Del (in 2011), we have the suggestion of
*Martha Campion, baptized Colchester St Nicholas, 5 January 1798 (born 27 Dec 1797).
and
Mary Ann Camplin, baptized same place, 31 March 1799 (born 10 March)
Parents for both John + Martha

Apparently Patty was a variant of Matty, a diminutive of the name Martha.
So, the likely baptism for her is at Harwich - Martha Bryant, 11 October 1771, parents Benjamin + Martha.
No sign of a burial, or an alternative marriage for said person in Harwich. Only the Patty marriage in 1795.

To me, at the moment, it is looking quite likely that the husband of Martha/Patty, John Campion, was the chap from Ramsey.
Ian
*Burial at St Nicholas, 14 January 1798, of a Martha Campion (NBI)
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:29 pm

ianbee wrote:Apparently Patty was a variant of Matty, a diminutive of the name Martha.

That Patty Campion of Bedford in the DDI's, 1811 - there's a possible burial, Bedford St Mary, 23 August 1811, of Martha Campion.
Not likely to be the right lady though!
ianbee

Postby energizerdel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:17 am

ianbee wrote:
energizerdel wrote:I believe at least one of John & Patty's daughters was born in Colchester

Who were their daughters?

There's a John Campion burial at St Peter Colchester, 8 February 1828
Abode Maidenburgh Street
Age 56 (which, incidentally, could tie in with the Ramsey baptism)
Image of the BT is here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=490113

Of course we don't know that either the baptism or the burial record is actually of your John.
More a case of throwing things in, seeing if they might lead anywhere. And there is still the Patty problem.
Can't see anything at all in Ipswich.
Ian

Ian - thank you for all your help, you're wonderful and I really appreciate you looking for me. John had two daughters Martha and Mary Ann, born in Colchester from what I have found. When he had his painting done by Lethbridge, he also had miniatures done of his son G.B.Campion and also one each of the girls.

I have looked at the Ramsey Campions quite extensively and I don't believe they are the same family. I found the will of John Campion of Ramsey and his signature is quite different from the marriage allegation (which I did have a copy of).
energizerdel

PreviousNext

Return to Military help