Moderator Control Panel ]

Kathleen Rose Parnell/Hards/Braby/West

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Kathleen Rose Parnell/Hards/Braby/West

Postby CarolynH » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 pm

I am looking for help/advice to find out if a marriage was bigamous.

Kathleen Rose Parnell (age 29) married Derek Albert Stanley Hards (age 36, a Hairdressers Assistant) in the Register Office in Brighton on 31 January 1942. He is recorded as a bachelor and she as a spinster. Their fathers are listed as George Hards, Master Hairdresser and Ernest Parnell, Inspector Electricity Undertaking.

We understand from family members that the relationship did not last very long and that she had a breakdown. We only found out that they had married as we found her record on the 1939 register had been changed from Parnell to Hards and a search then revealed the marriage. We cannot find any trace of Derek Hards other than the marriage. We are trying to track down any record of a divorce or annulment otherwise we can only assume that her following marriages are bigamous.

She married Mathew Frederick Braby (as Kathleen Rose Parnell) on 24th December 1953 in the Register Office in Chelsea. He is listed as a bachelor and she as a spinster! They divorced in 1979 and she marries again in 1984 as Kathleen Rose Braby with "previous marriage dissolved" stated on the certificate.

Any guidance on what to do next would be much appreciated, thank you!

Carolyn
CarolynH

Re: Kathleen Rose Parnell/Hards/Braby/West

Postby ianbee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:23 am

Edited post
A possibility, maybe! Might be some connection with "Derek" anyway.
Brighton, 1939
Russell Square
schedule 174
Closed record
Decima Christina Humphrey, born 5 Sep 06, Single, Nursemaid
Marlene Avis Hards, 31 Dec 35 (but 37 written above), Under school age
Albert S Hace (HARDS), 25 Jan 07, Married, Ladies + Gents Hairdresser

Birth, Mar 1936 Worthing 2b 475
Hards, Marlene A.
mother Wells
But doesn't fit with the change of birth year to 37!
Death of a Marlene A Hards in Worthing, June 1967, age 29
Ian
Last edited by ianbee on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
ianbee

Postby carobradford » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:25 am

Only 2% of case files exist for divorces after 1937 (and I think those are still held by the relevant courts) so the only real way you can find out if there was a divorce or annulment is to ask HM Court Service to do a search of decrees absolute. This is very expensive - £65 I think, payable whether they find something or not - and will provide no other information than when and where the decree was issued. Here is the link to the application form if you are feeling flush:
http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/H ... ets_id=134
carobradford

Postby ianbee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:07 am

A one off electoral appearance?
1949 Twickenham East
Spencer Road, Twickenham, Middx.
The Lodge
Hards, Albert S.
Hards, Kathleen R.

If Marlene was born in 1935 after all, she may have been the daughter of Donald Hards and Dora
ianbee

Postby CarolynH » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:57 pm

carobradford wrote:Only 2% of case files exist for divorces after 1937 (and I think those are still held by the relevant courts) so the only real way you can find out if there was a divorce or annulment is to ask HM Court Service to do a search of decrees absolute. This is very expensive - £65 I think, payable whether they find something or not - and will provide no other information than when and where the decree was issued. Here is the link to the application form if you are feeling flush:
http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/H ... ets_id=134

Thanks. We're thinking about it but it's a lot of money for a search which may not yield anything (although that would prove a bigamous marriage).
CarolynH

Postby CarolynH » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:08 pm

ianbee wrote:A one off electoral appearance?
1949 Twickenham East
Spencer Road, Twickenham, Middx.
The Lodge
Hards, Albert S.
Hards, Kathleen R.

If Marlene was born in 1935 after all, she may have been the daughter of Donald Hards and Dora

We had seen that but my Mum discounted it as she thought she'd found a marriage between another Albert S Hards and a Kathleen but I can't find it!
CarolynH

Return to General research queries