Moderator Control Panel ]

This registrar possibly has some of the worst handwriting!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

This registrar possibly has some of the worst handwriting!

Postby pforkes » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:56 am

I have attached the marriage record of Joseph Fawkes and Daisy Bleything and I have to admit that this is probably the worst handwriting that I have ever seen from a registrar!

It is for the marriage of Joseph Fawkes (aged 21) and Daisy Bleything (aged 19) and I believe that the wedding took place on 27th May, 1928

His father is Joseph Fawkes and her father is Joseph Bleything (deceased) and that is pretty much everything that I can read.

What the bride's and groom's professions are? I have no idea.
    Where they live? I have no idea.
    What the father and father-in-law's profession are? I have no idea.
I will bet that someone here can read it, so thank you in advance.

Peter
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 7.48.55 PM.png
Joseph Fawkes & Daisy Bleything
Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 7.48.55 PM.png (563.23 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
pforkes

Re: This registrar possibly has some of the worst handwritin

Postby pforkes » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Thank you for' translating' that for me. It would seem that I am not the only one who has difficulty reading the registrar's handwriting.
pforkes

Postby peter kent » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:56 pm

How did you acquire that?

I would go back to the register office and ask them for a replacement - preferably an electronic copy of the entry in the actual register.
peter kent

Postby pforkes » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:48 pm

peter kent wrote:How did you acquire that?

I would go back to the register office and ask them for a replacement - preferably an electronic copy of the entry in the actual register.

I got it from the G.R.O.
So, you are saying that I can contact the G.R.O. and can ask for a transcribed copy?
pforkes

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:15 am

Whilst I agree the handwriting could be better, once you understand what is written, it tends to jump out at you.
Joseph lived at 56 Merefield? Street, Tunstall (one of the 'five towns'), and was a Potters oddman. The bride's late fathers occupation was a Chemical Works Labourer.

I would point out that if we can't transcribe it, what make you think the GRO will do any better? Having recently used the new GRO indexes, I'm amazed at the variety of ways the same mother's maiden name has been transcribed. Personally, I never trust transcriptions unless I can see the original, and confirm it myself.

e.g. How could anyone with a bit of common sense transcribe a census entry for Jemima Rothery as Jennings Korberry :) :) !

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby peter kent » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:34 am

I got it from the G.R.O.
So, you are saying that I can contact the G.R.O. and can ask for a transcribed copy?

No. I said try the register office. What you're looking at is a transcription of the register. A clerk in the register office copied the details from the register and sent the copy to GRO.

If you ask the register office for a copy they will have to look at the original register and, if they have the technology, provide a photocopy otherwise a written transcription.

You could try for a freebie since you have already paid once.
peter kent

Return to General research queries