Moderator Control Panel ]

Marriage certificate Dec/D&C assistance

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Marriage certificate Dec/D&C assistance

Postby historybear » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:59 pm

I have a marriage certificate for my grandparents in 1915 in Ireland. After the Father's name in the Father's Name box it says what looks like d&e or dae. In the profession box it says labourer. Has anyone come across this before? We are wondering if it could possibly be a shorthand for deceased but are not sure and have no further details relating to my great-grandfather so are unsure when he may have died.

Also, my grandfather is listed as 'Soldier' with residence at the time of marriage being 'Ypres, Belgium'. I am curious as to how, in the early part of the war (marriage June 1915) he would have been allowed leave to return to Ireland to marry or could the marriage have been before he was about to be deployed however it seems odd that he would not have put his residence as Ireland in that case.

Grateful for any thoughts/views/assistance!!
historybear

Re: Marriage certificate Dec/D&C assistance

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Very unlikely that he would have been granted permission to return to Ireland to marry, as you say. Instead, it's much more likely that he got married during a normal period of leave. Yes, they did have leave.

I thought I'd seen an explanation somewhere of how much leave soldiers were entitled to but I can't find it (normally I'll find it once I've hit the Send button). This https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/soldiers_on_leave is the best I can do - note in particular, it says
In 1915, the German, French, and British armies gradually allowed fighters to take a few days of leave at the rear, and if possible, to return home
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby jaykayell » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:49 pm

It might be helpful if you were to post a copy of the marriage certificate.
jaykayell

Postby historybear » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Thanks Adrian, that's really useful.

Jay - we've had a look at other writing on other marriage registrations and it looks like it is 'dec' so taking that to mean deceased.
historybear

Return to General research queries