Moderator Control Panel ]

Martha Griffiths - Brick wall - help!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby cheerily » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm trying to find the birth of my great great grandmother Martha Griffiths. She married Edward James Hughes on 19 Apr 1876 in Chester & her father is given as Henry Griffiths, labourer. Her age is given as 25 indicating birth year as 1850/51. In 1881 she is living with Edward in Saltney, Flintshire & her place of birth is Cheshire, Holt. In 1891 she is a widow & living in Chester. Her place of birth is given as Cheshire, Malpas & it is the same for 1901. I've obtained 3 potential birth certs but none has Henry as the father. The certs obtained show Caergwrle, Rhostyllen & Ruabon as places of birth. Caergwrle is the only cert that comes under Holt but is from 1847. There is a Martha Griffiths (aged 2) on the Holt 1851 census & her relation to the Head is "nursery". Can anyone advise what is meant by nursery? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Last edited by cheerily on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cheerily

Re: Martha Griffiths - Brick wall - help!

Postby ianbee » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:04 pm

cheerily wrote:Is Wrexham the correct district for Holt?

Your question has already been answered by sdup26
topic15554.html

and yourself
cheerily wrote:I did see the entry on the 1851 census but wasn't sure. Checked at the front of census book & it states Wrexham Union & Malpas District
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:13 pm

cheerily wrote:Can anyone advise what is meant by nursery?

I think that's also been answered
topic15554.html
sdup26 wrote:I wonder if that's a variation on 'nurse child' - a child being looked after in the absence of its parents?
ianbee

Postby cheerily » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:29 pm

The poster (whose helpful advice I am grateful for) mentioned that it might be a variation on "nurse child" but it wasn't a definite confirmation. She may not even be my ancestor. I was wondering if anyone else could advise instead of being directed back to my previous post (which I now know I should have continued instead of starting a new post). I'm trying to locate the birth of my gg grandmother & thought that there might be people here who could assist me.
cheerily

Postby ianbee » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:53 pm

I agree with sdup, I think it means she was a nurse child.
We do want to help, of course, and so I've made a suggestion on your other thread. No idea if it will lead anywhere.
Ian
ianbee

Return to General research queries