Moderator Control Panel ]

John Campbell - 1800s - stationed in Ireland

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

John Campbell - 1800s - stationed in Ireland

Postby DawnC86548 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:50 pm

HI,
I know that this is a long shot, but I have been trying to figure a way to track down my 4th great grandfather, John Campbell and his military record.

The family story goes is that he was stationed in Ireland and fell in love with my 4th great grandmother, Mary Looney/Lunney and they eloped to Scotland. I have tracked down that the name of Looney/Lunney which is common in Northern Ireland. Their older son, Edward emigrated to USA in the early 1830s and Mary/James and the rest of the family emigrated to Wisconsin in 1839.

Most of their children were baptised at St. Andrew's in Glasgow in the early 1800s and I have found documentation that their children were born in Shotts as well as one of their son-in-law.

Any suggestions would be great - Thank you!

Dawn
Wisconsin, USA
DawnC86548

Re: John Campbell - 1800s - stationed in Ireland

Postby junkers » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:49 pm

You really need a place and date as well as a Regiment to make much progress as Campbell is a very common name in Scotland. If they eloped to Scotland then he may have left his regiment without permission, do you have a marriage certificate?.
junkers

Re: John Campbell - 1800s - stationed in Ireland

Postby DawnC86548 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:17 am

No I don't. I just have their children baptism records from St Andrew in Glasgow. I know -major brick wall

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
DawnC86548

Return to Military help