Moderator Control Panel ]

Solving an identity debate

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Postby granjannz » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:17 am

This is my first post on the forum so forgive me if I haven't got it quite right.

I am having a debate with a second cousin about who the lady might be in the attached photograph.
Any help with identifying a possible year might help us sort this out.
It was taken in the UK but we have no idea when or where. It is possibly of a lady who lived from 1830 - 1896, 1827 - 1894 (same generation) or a later generation 1853-1920 I have a photo of this later lady and it doesn't seem to match at all. (I don't seem to be able to add a second picture). I feel it is one of the earlier two.
Jane Brooker researching in the UK but living in NZ
Attachments
Emily (Farr) Bell query(2).jpg
Emily (Farr) Bell query(2).jpg (131.87 KiB) Viewed 3697 times
granjannz

Re: Solving an identity debate

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:21 pm

As I understand it, that style of sleeve is early to mid 1890s. That would put the earlier two ladies into their 60s - my impression is that the people of that era looked quite a bit older than those of the same age today, so 60y olds then would look a lot older than the 60y olds of today. Which takes me away from those two....

Having said that, if said lady had money (and with her elaborate head-dress, I suspect that this one had a bit more than most), would she look that old? Which takes me back to the first two....

Not a lot of help, am I? :?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:02 am

This does not look like a typical photographer's studio. It appears to be taken just outside a house, as the features - window, shutters, doorstep etc - seem to indicate. Do you have any other photos that include a house or do you know where they lived to try to link it together?
brunes08

Postby granjannz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:27 am

Thanks for the suggestions.
There is sadly nothing on the back and it does not seem to be a photographic studio pose. As someone said it looks like someone's house. I don't have anything else that ressembles it.
Neither of the two older ladies had what you would call 'money' not that I have found thus far.
I am going to try and attach a picture of the lady with the most recent dates. I don't believe it's her but would welcome opinions.
I do wonder if she has dressed up for something special. We have tried to work out if there is anything written on the book with no success.
Thanks again
Jane
Attachments
P1010299 (2).JPG
P1010299 (2).JPG (394.29 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
granjannz

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:16 pm

OK, in the absence of any other comments so far, I'll stick my neck out and say - I think that this *is* the same lady that appears in the first post. She's obviously older but to me, she has the same square face and the eye brows slope down a touch in both shots. Her age has softened that brow line, but it's all a variation on the same thing.

I think.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Amazinggrace » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:55 pm

I agree with Adrian,looks like the same person to me too.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby granjannz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:36 am

Thank you, If it is indeed, as you think, the same lady she died in 1920 and I have one other photo of her from not long before she died (my mother is in the picture as a likely 2/3 yr old? and she was born in 1916). The head gear is somewhat similar in style.
Do you think the first photo was taken before the second? If so she must have been dressed up for something special in an older style costume.
Jane
Attachments
Emily Farr, George Bell, Jennie and query c1920.JPG
Emily Farr, George Bell, Jennie and query c1920.JPG (64.54 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
granjannz

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:25 am

The first of the three (the one with her seated by the wall) is taken in the 1890s and shows her in the dress of that time. Certainly dressed up.

The second photo (the head shot) is quite a bit later. Probably well into the twentieth century.

I wouldn't care to say which order the second and third (the delightful one with your mother) were taken in. Perhaps not much in it for those two.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby granjannz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:24 am

Thank you very much Adrian.
I'll have to eat some humble pie as I was certain it wasn't the same lady :?
But I concede the points made in the posts.
Jane
granjannz

Postby MeganButel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:18 am

I agree that it's the same lady in all three - she has quite a distinctive face (and very good genes by the look of it!)
Megan
MeganButel

Next

Return to Photo identification