Moderator Control Panel ]

Noel Clarke's episode

Discuss the 14th series of the award-winning television programme, which will feature Charles Dance, Clare Balding, Fearne Cotton and more

Noel Clarke's episode

Postby Rosemary Collins » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:26 am

Hello everyone!

I hope you had a fantastic Bank Holiday. The next episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, starring Noel Clarke, is showing on BBC One at 8pm on Thursday 31 August.

Noel, a Doctor Who star and acclaimed filmmaker, goes to Trinidad to find out more about his family history. From there he travels across the Caribbean and traces the story of his family back to times of slavery.

As ever, please let us know what you think of the episode in the thread below!
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine
Rosemary Collins

Re: Noel Clarke's episode

Postby junkers » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:29 pm

I thought that was good and interesting. Although not mentioned some of Noel's Bedeau ancestors applied for British Nationality before the First World War (see The National Archives 'Discovery' catalogue).
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:28 pm

I really liked this. One nice illustration of the limitations of memory when referring to grandparents - "What did you call her?" to which Noel replied, "Granny!"

I suspect that there had been an awful lot of previous work to find people like his uncle, so well done there. I doubt that you can do that on the laptop.

And I was really pleased for him when he found that there was every chance that some of his line came from Ghana. To actually see through the appalling obscenity of slavery and see where you might very likely have come from - excellent.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Daisy Isabella » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:25 pm

This was a good and interesting episode. I think it was his great uncle who fortunately could remember the names of the men a couple of generations back. Strange that the older birth records in Trinidad didn't require the name of the child. It was also fortunate that the American documents listed who the children were and their dates of birth. Just shows that sometimes a wide net has to be cast to find information.
Daisy Isabella

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2017