Moderator Control Panel ]

What became of Woodman Vercoe?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: What became of Woodman Vercoe?

Postby ianbee » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:45 pm

There was also Blanche -
June 1872 Totnes 5b 176
Vercoe, Blanche
mother's maiden surname Memery

A burial at Brixham St Mary, a short while later in 1872
Blanche Vercoe
abode Lower Brixham
buried July 30th
age 4 mos

But where is Blanche's death registration?
The burials at St Mary either side of hers were
Mary Anne Roberts, age 78, on 26th July
Robert Graham, age 15, on 4th August
Abode for both was also Lower Brixham.
And Mary Ann Roberts, 77 (just to be awkward!), and Robert Graham, 15, can be found in the GRO death index for Sep qtr 1872, registered Totnes, both with the same reference 5b 122
Ian
ianbee

Postby Jeannie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks for that ianbee.

I have a copy of their South African marriage. It doesn't mention parents unfortunately.

I've also got a copy of Kate's Death Notice from the South African archives.

There is a question about parents on the Death Notice, but where their names should be, it just says deceased. (Not surprising as Kate was 87 years old at the time of her death)

I have seen a few possibilites for Kate's parents but so far, I haven't been able to rule anyone in or out.
As she isn't a blood relative, I have not looked too hard. This thread brought her back to mind.

Thank you for coming back to me.
Jeannie

Postby tvercoe » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:42 am

Woodman Vercoe was my great-grandfather.
When Woodman VERCOE was born in 1868 in Henstridge, Somerset, England, his father, Thomas, was 28 and his mother, Mary, was 27. He then married Margaret WILSON and they had three children together. He died in 1947 in Balmain, New South Wales, Australia, at the age of 79.
At age 17 Woodman departed London on the 'Duke of Westminster' and arrived in Brisbane on 23 June 1885.
He married Emma Louisa ELBOROUGH on 17 May 1898 in Port Adelaide, and they had six children together. True to form, Woodman was very transient moving from Adelaide to Brisbane, Mt Morgan, Beaudesert and Ballina. Emma died on 12 December 1907 in Alstonville, New South Wales, at the age of 35.
Margaret Wilson married Woodman VERCOE on 19 July 1911 at Uralba, New South Wales. They had three children during their marriage. She died on 6 September 1933 in Lismore, New South Wales, at the age of 57.
At the time of his death in 1947 Woodman had moved from Brunswick Heads (NSW) to Balmain (NSW). Woodman was buried at Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney.
None of this goes to answer the underlying question "Why?" One could only speculate that he was aware that a number of relatives (and possibly acquaintances) from home had settled in South Australia.
tvercoe

Postby MayHam » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:53 pm

Is this him?

VERCOE, CHARLES
GRO Reference: 1926  M Quarter in POOLE  Volume 05A  Page 306
MayHam

Postby Cachalot6972 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:31 am

Many thanks for your reply - and apologies for not replying sooner. As others have noted, we're no longer getting reply notifications...

I suspect that Charles Vercoe is one of the Charles Vercoes born 1846 & 1847, one in Truro district and one in Bodmin district.
In the 1911 census there are two Charles Vercoes born 1846 +/- 2 years; Charles (born Truro) is in Plymouth, and Charles (born Bodmin) is in the Royal Goat Hotel, Beddgelert, Caernarvonshire.
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Previous

Return to General research queries