Moderator Control Panel ]

Sarah CHALK (née COLE)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Sarah CHALK (née COLE)

Postby SDV » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:18 am

I am trying to find the whereabouts and death of Sarah CHALK (née COLE). Sarah was born in Stow Maries in Essex, being baptised there in 1783. She married William CHALK in 1800 in Stow Maries. They had 13 children together, before William died in 1827 and was buried in Stow Maries.

I believe that Sarah was still alive at the time of her husband's death, but have no proof. There is a possibility that she was living in Marsh Street, Walthamstow in 1841 with her son James. But it is difficult to be sure that the Sarah and James I have found in 1841 are the ones from Stow Maries, given the limitations of the 1841 census data.

I would be grateful if anyone could find a death in Stow Maries or, indeed, anywhere else. If she was still alive in 1851 a census record would be great.
SDV

Re: Sarah CHALK (née COLE)

Postby sdup26 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:34 pm

On the 1841 census entry showing Sarah Chalk with James Chalk (Marsh St, Walthamstow), Sarah is shown as 'N' for not born in county, while James is Y, so possibly not your Sarah, although it could be an error.
There's a Sarah Chalk b1781 living in Witham 1851, and born in Kelvedon, around 10 miles from Stow Maries. She's a widow, living with niece Frances Chalk b1832, and a possible death for her is in 1855, but you may have already ruled her out.
Otherwise, I haven't had much luck with a likely death, but that was using the GRO index, and Sarah could have died before 1837.
sdup26

Re: Sarah CHALK (née COLE)

Postby SDV » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:54 pm

My gut feeling is that Sarah died in Stow Maries, where she was born, where she was married and where she raised her children. The other possible location is Hornchurch, where at least 3 of her children who survived to adulthood ended up.

As to when she died, it was certainly 1826 or later, as her youngest child was born in early 1826.

Another possibility is that she remarried. when her husband died in 1827, she would have been 44 years of age. So re-marriage is certainly possible.

Trouble is I can't find either a death or a re-marriage in the SEAX records.
SDV

Return to General research queries