Moderator Control Panel ]

Look up request

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Look up request

Postby helen.norton » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:39 pm

Please could someone with an Ancestry subscription do a look up for me please? I have a FMP subscription but unfortunately the census record I am seeking is not showing up in their search results, I've tried various searches but cannot bring it up. I do notice that Ancestry do have a potential record however.

It's for the 1861 census and shows a Sarah Reynolds, born in Yorkshire in 1780, and still living in Yorkshire, obviously I can't see any further info but I would like to know the details if someone would be kind enough to post the info. It's the only record showing up in the results with those details so shouldn't be too hard to locate I hope. Many thanks in advance
helen.norton

Re: Look up request

Postby beacon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Sarah Reynolds aged 81, a lodger, born Hull, widow. Formerly a farmer's wife. For some reason FMP say her birth year was 1810 so aged 51 even though it is clearly 81.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
beacon

Postby helen.norton » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Thanks very much for looking that up for me. Yes, I've found her now. I suspected it might be a famous FMP transcription error! Your help is much appreciated
helen.norton

Look up request

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:31 pm

Helen,
You could always use Familysearch, who link into Findmypast for their images (you'll need a subscription to see them). I am tending to use them more and more lately, as they will search ALL censuses at same time, and you can flick from census to census. I find their results display also seem to make it easier to spot the person you want.

I don't know if they use different transcriptions to Findmypast, but their transcription methodology seems pretty robust. Two diferent people transcribe same image, and their results are compared before being accepted, so less risk of getting a mis-transcription.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby ianbee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:37 pm

I think for a lot of the census years, if not all, FamilySearch actually use the transcriptions on findmypast. How else could they link to them?
1881 was done many years ago by the LDS in partnership with FFHS, and both ancestry and findmypast use that.
I have a feeling that the 1841 and 1871 transcriptions on findmypast were from the now defunct Origins.
But I may be wrong!
Having said that there used to be more info for 1871 on the transcript on FamilySearch. They seem to chop and change it at regular intervals.
Ian
ianbee

Postby helen.norton » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks for those extra tips, they may come in handy in the future. In this instance I think Ian may be right as the transcription on Family Search for Sarah also gives her as being born in 1810, so she still wouldn't have jumped out at me as her age is way out.

Thanks again for your help,

Helen
helen.norton

Return to General research queries