Moderator Control Panel ]

Sarah Ann Stephens formerly Jones

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Sarah Ann Stephens formerly Jones

Postby CliveStephens » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:02 am

Sarah Ann Jones born 3/2/1867 At Bradfield nr Manchester, family moved to Warrington. She married James Shirley Stephens in Warrington on the 23/9/1889. A son Frederick James was born 15/10/1890 at Percy St, Warrington.

On the 1891 Census Sarah and James are in London with the parents of James and his siblings. There is no mention of little Frederick. Fredrick is recorded as being baptised at ST Barnabas Church Warrington on the 20/09/1893 with an address at Wellfield St, Warrington. This is the last trace so far of Sarah Ann Stephens. Unable to locate her on the 1901 or 1911 Census.

James Shirley Stephens who is recorded as an Actor, formed a new relationship with an actress, Lucie Victoria Cooper and a daughter Agnes was born to them on the 6/6/1897 in Barnsley.

I have fully traced James Shirley Stephens, Lucie and daughter Agnes , but cannot find what happened to Sarah.

I will post a second query regarding the son Frederick as this is another "brick Wall".
CliveStephens

Re: Sarah Ann Stephens formerly Jones

Postby sdup26 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:59 pm

The absences are odd, aren't they? I have a theory, but can't find any evidence for it - Frederick was just a few months old when James and Sarah went visiting in London. Note that on the 1891 census, poor Sarah isn't listed straight after her husband as 'daughter-in-law' but almost as an afterthought, down below the youngest children of the household. So if Frederick was with them, did someone think an infant needn't be listed at all? In any event, he was then baptised in 1893 back in Warrington, but we can't know if Sarah attended in person. Suppose she hadn't fully recovered from the birth; for example, what we would call postnatal depression. If she was in hospital, it would explain why Frederick was with relatives in 1901, and why, when James 'formed a new relationship' and had a daughter, he apparently didn't marry, because he wasn't free to do so. Does any of that make sense? Trouble is, I haven't been able to find Sarah even under initials only, (often the case for hospital in-patients). And if that's all wrong, and the marriage had simply broken down, Sarah wasn't free to marry either, and could have lived with someone else under his surname, although a search using her personal details minus a surname hasn't helped.
sdup26

Re: Sarah Ann Stephens formerly Jones

Postby CliveStephens » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks for your comments. This looks like a possibility. As James Shirley Stephens father was a Barristers Clerk I am sure he would have told his son the law regarding a marriage to his new partner Lucie!
CliveStephens

Return to General research queries